Disk Management feature request

Please, don’t cross posting about cockpit there is already a post :wink: could you please follow up there?

Hi guys,

I want to begin by apologizing for the next question which would inflame many of you but I sow that even Jim asked ( Improve our communication ): WHAT NETHSERVER SHOULD BE?

In that post I think Jim is in opposition to that which he required here (The all-in-one concept suggest a sort of melpot, that Netserver doing all at the same time. Something monilitic, a big brick.).

IMHO, NethServer has enough issues that must be solved before being a big brick which will cannot be put in solid wall.

Of course you will ask me which are those “enough issues that must be solved”.
Please read carefully this forum! I’m sure that you will get the proper answer!

I will publish some of my thoughts that I told someone which I respect very much in this community. Maybe reading them, you will understand better that which I mean.

Again, please don’t blame me!
I like NethServer very much and I want a good user friendly product!

*I'm not a programmer (often I wish to be). I'm not an Windows or Linux expert.* 
*I think I'm the man in the middle: between a programmer and an expert. An user with a lot of technical knowledge, able to administer an information system.*

*Sysadmins, usually and unfortunately, don't do only specific operations, they do everything: hw interventions, sw interventions, teach users, change toner cartridges, set up printers, and so on.* 
*Because of that, as sysadmin, I need (want) a software (apps, servers like NethServer, Zentyal, Endian, ClearOS, IpCop, ...) to help me with informations as fast is possible.* 

*... Not users who want that NethServer to be "Any in One Server" but those who need tools. Better and user friendly tools to make their work easier everyday.*

*I know there are many operations that require CLI. But also there are many that can be done from UI.*
*Please look at other similar or quite similar servers. All usual operations are made from UI.*

*I prefer to help the NS Community from this point of view: of the man in the middle, the sysadmin between a programmer and an expert.* 
*At least I will try. Even if I'll draw harsh criticism!*

Kind regards,
Gabriel

It’s for you @davidep :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

In opposition !:! No,Perhaps you misunderstood something, or didn’t explain so well…
In the other topic, I suggest to change a bit our communication, to stop talking about “all in one”, and talk about modularity.

About the modularity, Nethserver is a file server, can share files, can distribute content with owncloud and other stuff… But we can’t talk about NAS yet,
I suggest this disk managment feature, to make this storage side and managment disk easy, with this module, we would communicate about NAS feature.

I disagree, it’s an interesting question. Maybe It deserves separate discussion called “What NethServer should be…” What do you think?

“Modularity” is much more complex concept than “monolithic”.

Hi Alessio,

I don’t know. It may become redundant. There are many posts regarding that.
But yes, could be interesting.

I don’t If it’s me who is tired… But:

• THis thread is about the disk management feature…

– It’s @davidep who speak about Cockpit

Right, we have to stay in topic :wink:

Finally it is the responsibility of the admin and we shouldn’t restrict it. If someone will do something stupid without inform him self about the consequences he will do it on the CLI as well.
The WARNING with red background is a good solution. If he continue without a second thought than it his fault and not of the software documentation.

I agree with @Jim and the Nethserver slogan. The GUI should have all necessary tools to do the daily work. As mentioned @vhinzsanchez admin with WINDOWS background don’t like to step in to learn the CLI command if they think about to change to a LINUX based server.

2 Likes

Sorry @zamboni that I didn’t came to this world with this knowledge. I know as many other that we have to learn much more. And this can be done by asking in the forum some simple questions to get help or an hint in the right direction.

Hi @WillZen, I never said that Windows admin don’t like to learn the CLI…what I’m pointing out is that these admins are more of a point and click persons (not that not wanting to learn Linux CLI) so proper mitigations/warnings should be put into place should these admins (we :smile:) wrongfully click on the wrong button.

Just clearing things up.

That’s the right way, please keep it up!

@vhinzsanchez
Sorry for my free interpretation.
I got many feedbacks about LINUX that you have to use too many times the CLI to do the work and they don’t want to change. It is too much effort.

I immediately thought about Cockpit, because it’s available on ns7 and I hope it will become our server manager framework in the future.

The “Create RAID” button is for configuring. I agree, it lacks a lot of functions but we should keep an eye on its progress.

1 Like

that’s the right approact to the problem…
no one here had the knowledge inside… everybody has to learn… and you learn trying to things, asking how to do them, try again…

havin a dumb interface to do things once/twice a year doesn’t help you to learn… :slight_smile:

here I disagree…

a community driven distro can’t be a gun in the hands of a newbie…

a web interface is a layer between human an CLI… it’s very usefull in everyday tasks, but, really, how many times do you add/partition/remove a disk on THE SAME SERVER during its life? once? twice? five?
do we really need to invest time to create something that need 3 lines of CLI just to use it 2 times?

I don’t think so…
anyway, since I’m not interested anymore in NS, I think my opinion is not important

I’m totally agree… There’s no reason to restrick the user. Everybody has responsibility of its acts.

And A disk Management feature is !!!
Until a home user can play with a graphic windows partition, or a graphic Mac partition… A home user can deal a Synology, a Qnap, a Western Digital NAS without problem…
And a Linux Sysadmin can’t…
Such feature is dangerous in a Linux sysadmin and not in a anybody homeuser hands!!!
Because someone think it’s dangerous or think that the professional sysadmin is a dude !!!

You have really strange though and strange argumentation @zamboni
Stop with your subversives arguments.

This feature is only to enlarge opportunities to spread NethServer.
This feature is to enlarge fields of application for use of Nethserver…

he rarely (or never) need a gui to format a disk or to create partitions… are we talking about what?

we give a different meaning to “sysadmin”, aren’t we?

NS’ GUI is there to provide an easy interface for everyday tasks…

Yes :grinning:

I see NS gui an easy way to configure, to setup the server too