Automatic Update notification

I want to revive this discussion, because I’m still missing this feature in NS6 and NS7.
I installed yum-cron with mailnotification enabled and it works fine.

It’s been over a year that this discussion was started, but never got to an end.
May I ask if it is planned to introduce this feature in NS7?
If some are don’t want it as core part, would be possible to give it via softwarecenter?

4 Likes

Do you mean this?

Yep. :slight_smile:

Interesting…it is with portainer on the top of my todo

3 Likes

do you send the email to the root of your server, or any exterior email account ?

what would be the good pratice ?

1 Like

I would like to be able to fill in an email address of my own choice. Either managed by NS or just somewhere else. The backup module can send to any email address you provide. I sent that to the alias serverx@mydomain.tld so I know from which server the email came from. Also filtered to a directory I created for this purpose.

I started to send the email to admin@{$DomainName} and whatever emails you want but you must be aware that the remote smtp can refuse your email because

your IP is dynamic
your domain name is not resolved
and probably for a zillion other reasons.

I wasted 10 minutes, fighting to send an email to my email server

what about to get the panel in the Software center ?

# by default MAILTO is unset, so crond mails the output by itself
# example:  MAILTO=root
MAILTO=root@localhost.jeckel.local

Works fine for me. The admin@domain.tld get this mail. Never had a problem, but my IP is static.
If it should be sent to an external account, it could be forwarded by a rule, doesn’t it?

@robb the mail contains the hostname. Just put it in the config-file.

# you may set SYSTEMNAME if you want your yum emails tagged differently
# default is output of hostname command 
# this variable is used only if MAILTO is set too
SYSTEMNAME="nethserver.jeckel.local"

Right and in those cases also configure

Email > Smarthost
1 Like

sure but it was not enough in my case. My emails were bounced because I use a dummy domain name for my test servers

Bounced by a NS mail server? It is possible to disable the domain strict check rule; I can’t help now, but let you know asap!

BTW could you set the NS as smarthost? Does it work for you?

no it is the smtp of my provider…we can do nothing :stuck_out_tongue:

I set a ‘from’ value with a good email, and it worked

Jun 24 19:49:12 ns7dev9 postfix/smtp[7729]: 7794810CF86E: to=<stephane@de-labrusse.fr>, relay=auth.smtp.1and1.fr[212.227.15.168]:587, delay=0.96, delays=0.11/0.02/0.75/0.08, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host auth.
smtp.1and1.fr[212.227.15.168] said: 550-Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable 550 invalid DNS MX or A/AAAA resource record (in reply to MAIL FROM command))

BTW, yum-cron for ns7 is quite ready

4 Likes

For NS7

yum install 'http://mirror.de-labrusse.fr/NethDev/nethserver-yum-cron/nethserver-yum-cron-0.1.1-1.ns7.sdl.noarch.rpm

then you install yum-cron.

By default, the notifications are sent and you download the updates. All notifications are sent to the admin user, think to install the samba AD or openldap account provider. If you need it, you can direct the notifications on other email addresses, of course I can not do the settings of your smarthost, please verify in /var/log/maillog if you don’t receive the emails, why they are bounced.

Each day a cron job starts during the night (after a random sleep time) and looks after update. If you think this time is too long (maximum 360 minutes to wait), we can lower it.

1 Like

I’d go with root instead. It is always present, also on firewalls, and a forward address can be set from the Profile page. As alternative, its mailbox can be checked from any IMAP client, like Roundcube

1 Like

I thought about that, and of course it can be changed after-all, but sogo doesn’t allow the root login :cry:

Shout if I’m wrong

SOGo allows additional accounts, but I’m not sure our config supports it.

Anyway a forward to admin is always possible, don’t you think?

yes, I did no test this configuration…will do it

I will decrease it…maximum 60minutes.

IIRC the yum-cron package already installs a cron.daily script. Wouldn’t that be enough?