Wordpress installation on Nethserver (multiple vhosts)

Thank you @stephdl.
I have to admit that my abilities are not sufficient to map my use case with Nethserver.

You can also use the vhost panel of nethserver, install nethserver-mysql, then install wordpress manually

Like this you could have many vhost

However when something is complex, often it is bad

Why do you need several vhost name for one web application

1 Like

Hi Marko,

I wrote an howto about NS and WordPress:
General description. Prerequisites. Preparation & configuration files. Installing WordPress. Updates. Main recommended settings. Activation of Akismet. Installation of an extension & a theme. Interesting extensions. Terms of use. CSS and Child Theme. Updating the Collections. Virtual host.

One WordPress in default directory (/var/www/html) and another one in a Vhost.
https://www.micronator.org/affaires/produit/nethserver-101-cahier-06nethserver-wordpress/.

Google translate is your friend: https://translate.google.ca/#view=home&op=translate&sl=fr&tl=en

Michel-André

3 Likes

I’m hosting three different sites for my family and a friend (one dev-system, one public site and one for my friend with his little one-man-company), not very sophisticated. The traffic is also low, only 200.000 requests a year.
But I need these domains separated also for different mail domains.

You can also use the vhost panel of nethserver, install nethserver-mysql, then install wordpress manually

That’s my preferred method. But somehow I was struck with blindness and hadn’t noticed that there is a separate package for database management.
So I will try nethserver-mysql.
First of all, I imagine the functionality to be very simple:
In the administration tool of the web server there should be a button “Add database” on each vhost to assign one or more databases to a vhost/domain.
I really need two databases for my website: one for WordPress, one for webtrees (my Genealogy-Database), because I use both systems for my web presence.

I hope that I will succeed now. Of course, I could muddle through on the command line, but that is not the purpose of a server that is supposed to facilitate such routine jobs via Gui. In addition, e-smith is a hard boundary for me that I can’t cross because I have no Python skills.

perl skill :smiley:

the best ever language in the universe

I wonder if you are not looking after the wordpress multisite feature, no real experience on it

nor do I master Perl. And I won’t start with it at 60.
:grimacing:

2 Likes

why ?

Edit: no offense, I am here for fun and provide support

I have additional hobbies.
Today I start with the official hunter training to give my foreseeable retirement a meaning beyond keyboard and mouse.

… I am here for fun and provide support

I like both.

1 Like

me too… moutain bike, reading, cooking…however Perl is a scripting language, quite simple.

Except if you met a oneliner :smiley:

2 Likes

this could be done of course, but quite complex I think. Phpmyadmin I think is done here to make this job, or I believe if you give the root password to wordpress it can do it for you. Obviously create a database with the root user of mysql/mariaDB it is something that you have to never do.

@davidep

What about to have a button in the vhost panel gui to create a database with a user and a random password. It could ease the sysadmin life, you just have to run the web installer and fill the database parameter.

Obviously this must be offer for all kind of database :expressionless:

postgresql
rh-postgresql-*
mariadb
rh-mariadb-*
1 Like

Hi Marko,

The howto should meet all your requirements and more…

I have 3 WordPress sites (1 in standard directory and 2 on Vhost) and 1 Dokuwiki; all on different FQDN and all working perfectly.

If you need help, just ask.

Michel-André

3 Likes

I love this community :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thank you. I downloaded the file some minutes ago. Now I will study it.
I will contact you as soon as I encounter insurmountable hurdles or if I am just dumb again.
Thank you all for your very kind offers of help.

me too :kissing_heart:

Hi Marko,

Since all my howtos are free to download, there was a lot of false email addresses etc, quite anoying.

● Then I discovered CleanTalk:
“CleanTalk is an all-in-one anti-spam solution that protects WordPress login forms, comments, etc. including those of WooCommerce. You no longer need to install separate spam extensions for each form. CleanTalk allows your site to work faster and save resources. After installation, you’ll forget about spam; your CleanTalk extension will do all the work. You will no longer have to deal with spam, because CleanTalk does it automatically for you.”

→ General description. To know. Preparation of the working environment. Opening a CleanTalk account. CleanTalk extension.
https://www.micronator.org/affaires/produit/nethserver-101-cahier-12_wordpress-cleantalk/.

● You can test on a virtual machine: Installation of VirtualBox in Chapter-V.6:
(NethServer-101, Cahier-02: Prerequisite software installations & configurations)
https://www.micronator.org/affaires/produit/nethserver-101-cahier-02installations-configurationsdes-logiciels-prerequis/

● Then when satisfied, you can export your WordPress from the virtual machine to the physical one using WordPress extension: Duplicator (NethServer-101, Cahier-09: Duplicator & migration)
https://www.micronator.org/affaires/produit/nethserver-101-cahier-09duplicator-migration/.

● You can test Duplicator by creating another Vhost on the virtual machine and duplicate one of your WordPress into the new Vhost.

Michel-André

Hi Marko,

By manipulating the hosts file of your workstation you can create many FQDN without a need for a registrar for those domains.

Chapter-II.10.1: hosts file in the howto: NethServer-101, Cahier-03:NethServer Virtuel
https://www.micronator.org/affaires/produit/nethserver-101-cahier-03nethserver-virtuel/.

Michel-André

1 Like

Thank you for your hints.

For spam protection I’m currently using Antispam Bee. But its focused to protect comment form. I will try Cleantalk.
I’m using Duplicator form the first minute to migrate my installations form one server to another, also for staging.

best regards, MArko

:-1: so far, our preferred recipe for the sysadmin is the one-click-install of an RPM with App+Config

IMO we must avoid to support multiple step procedures in our UI, like creating a vhost, adding a db user, upload the code, and configure the application by some means… Those steps should be automated by the RPM.

2 Likes