Which host system for nethserver virtualization should I use

Hi Rob, yes that’s correct to assume.
At first, the zpool is created and there is an increase of activity. This is also to be expected when you replace a disk and re-silvering is performed. But it should not be continuous.
Usually you need 1GB of RAM for each TB of storage.

This changes if you use encryption, deduplication and compression.
Add another 500 MB of RAM per option / TB. Also it will be processor intensive. (the curve gets easier with RAM increase)

You can monitor the resources used and i guess that it will not go over 8 GB on regular use.
On intense periods you should see around 12-15 GB used with 80% pool usage activity.
Maybe you can try zabbix to monitor the server.

Adding a 240 ARC ssd drive should help

It’s really interesting to see how your setup will perform in the future. :slight_smile:
Keep us informed

1 Like

[quote=“robb, post:40, topic:6522”]
and 2 GB for ZFS…
[/quote]:fearful:
Little OT: so much RAM for managing the Filesystem? I didn’know that ZFS could be so eager of memory…

@pike zfs is more than ‘just a filesystem’ and yes it takes up quite some RAM, but the advantages are amongst others: deduplication, saving diskspace and selfhealing from corruption.

When system shutdown gracefully. At announcement time the features seemed like fabulous-fiction for IT.
With this amount of RAM used, if the UPS fails or is missing that should be a hyper-cube-bad…