Nice move by NextCloud guys
Yeah, we are happy we could get the iOS app open sourced - and fully open, compatible with the app store without limit. Not all partners can immediately open source whatever they do but it is certainly our goal!
I thought I should update you on our upcoming Nextcloud 12 release. We published our beta today with a huge load of improvements focused around more collaboration and communication integration. Stuff like:
- Spreed audio/video chat has matured a lot and features screen sharing apps for Chrome and Firefox.
- We introduced push notifications (!) so you get notified instantly of calls, comments, shares and so on. Client support coming around 12 release or a bit later.
- We introduced a menu so you can click an user avatar and (video) call, chat or mail them. Next to your avatar top-right is also a contacts menu with all your contacts and these actions.
- You can share files or folder via email to multiple users, and set permissions individually. A video of this in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhFnbB-a7ik
- The Circles app allows users to create and manage groups and share with them. There’s also a guest account app and the ability for admins to impersonate users.
- downloadActivty lets users track when files are downloaded from a public share and internal shares can have an expiration date
- Public links to files can be made writable, which means you can have a collaborative Collabora Online document editing session with people who have no account on your server.
Besides these features, we of course worked further on hardening Nextcloud against break in, adding rate limiting, new authentication mechanisms for clients and server (this way clients will support OAuth, 2FA, SAML etcetera), signed upgrades and more. We also fixed a massive amount of bugs, improved performance and developed a range of improvements for system administrators to improve integration in enterprise infrastructure.
Go grab the beta and let us know what you think on our forums
Such a great new release Jos, thanks for updating us.
Guys, help NextCloud to test their product so the NethServer project can benefit as well
I can’t wait to see this new version on NethServer @alep