Welcome to NethServer Community

Hi @alefattorini,

Well, as requested, here is a little from me. Although not from IT (actually was a finance director for a major oil company), I am now running my own company and am not satisfied with hosted email / web solutions. Hence I run my own VPS’s which give me more control and most importantly, more options to run what I like / need. For email, they tend to limit the users and/or disk quota on ridiculous levels, compared what a VPS costs. And no multiple domains.

Hence my interest in good control panels. Use webmin on my production server now, but would not mind going to nethserver as what I have seen now. Tried zentyal, but got me confused. Looks good, but did not get the server to work as I could from CLI or Webmin… And that surprised me.

Nethserver so far looks good. Now trying to install some additional components, like owncloud and other stuff. My webserver is on a different VPS, running Wordpress, and would like to keep it that way for now.

Oh yeah, I am from The Netherlands… Think that’s about it! :smile:

4 Likes

Thank you for the warm welcome. I appreciate the active healthy community. I have the tendency to just watch/read community post but do pitch in my .02 cents once in a while if I can…and I also ask for help at times when hitting the wall.

Philippine-based IT person with over 10years experience here on mostly MS Windows environment. I had few linux experiences but not that extensive. Have deployed Untangle, ClearOS, Zentyal and pfSense in my employments. Like a number of people here, I did liked Zentyal because of its (previous) vast feature-set but the recent direction seems to focus on being an SBS/Exchange-replacement (as they always banner it).

In my knowledge in linux are mostly Ubuntu-based.

Presently, we have we have 2 Zimbra servers which are running w/o backup (nor configured for high-availability/replication). Needless to say, we are running dangerously an old Zimbra (7.1.3) on OS which is reaching/has reached EOL (Ubuntu 10.04) 500 GB and 175 GB consecutively.

I am thankful I did find NethServer and it seems promising. I will be testing it soon (tomorrow perhaps…a few hours from now).

I would like to ask if collaboration feature (SOGo) supports such large data-store and mailbox (the largest presently is 30GB). Additionally, does the backup feature effectively backs-up (and restores) SQL, mailboxes, LDAP, etc.

On other fronts, I hope it will be easy to configure VLAN (with inter-VLAN-routing), VPN (openVPN and IPSEC), Proxy (transparent with HTTPS filtering…not available in other UTMs easily).

Cheers!!!

~VhinzSanchez

2 Likes

Hi,

My name is Frank and I live in Austria, I work with SME-Server since
2004, I like to learn more about nethserver’s potential…

At the moment I have some projects, I will come back in a few weeks.

regards to the community
fpausp

1 Like

Hi @Richard, @vhinzsanchez, @fausp and welcome on board!

Feel free to ask support or post consideration on your exploration of Nethserver functionality… I’m sure that you will find here support and people ready to hear you.

See you soon :smile:

Thanks @etino, I am still testing it (mostly the SOGo module) and initial impression seems positively good. Hoping to implement this in place of Zimbra and implement a backup/failover server.

And as earlier posted, I’m also keen on the network modules to control bandwidth.

1 Like

Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome, I’m in charge of the IT department in a technology company of Guatemala, as part of my job, I have to evaluate the systems to implement, in my experience I can say that I have worked with several systems, such as Zentyal, Ubuntu Server, CentOS, etc. And for the same reason I have been evaluating NethServer, in the days that I’ve tried it I have seen the potential and the variety of modules that it have and I liked the very active community behind this great project.

Regards

3 Likes

Happy to hear this, please help us to to make this community better and better.
For your point of view, why NethServer in place of Zentyal, Ubuntu Server, CentOS, etc ?

Hi Frank, take a look at this NethServer and SME Server – NethServer
Smart people here know NethServer pretty well, so they could help you, looking at you @stephdl @zamboni :slight_smile:

That’s amazing! Thanks for showing up, we need your help :wink:

I do want a comparison with ClearOS and pfSense, do you want to write down something?

@davide_marini and @filippo_carletti are your men :smiley: test them and let us know!

Happy Monday NethServerian
Every Monday, we welcome all of our wonderful new members to the group. So please help me in wishing them all a warm welcome.

If you’re new here or you didn’t show up yet , please comment below and introduce yourself.
Who you are, where you are from and what you’re working on, what brings you to NethServer and what do you expect to find here?

Looking at you
@MarcoMelegari @jonathan_young @Enzo @Protagon_Antagon @Danial_Jose @Gilberto_Ribeiro @gar @aungthuhein33 @dobocriugm @wimpactus @bsprakash @compsos @hanvandewal @SamE @Yan_Sivitskiy

I’ll try but not promise. I’m going to try to do it on my spare time, however, my travel time from work to home and vice-versa eats up a lot of my waking hours, taking up 2-3hrs one way. I’ve tried ClearOS several years back, 2010-2011, and have been impressed. However, my then network card was not that supported by Redhat/CentOS/Fedora, so it went down in 3 months time. Zentyal, being based in Ubuntu, supported my Marvell Yukon ethernet card without hiccups.

@davide_marini and @filippo_carletti are your men smiley test them and let us know!

Great! I’ll be posting here and perhaps call their attention when I do more testing. I’m into mail and backup for the moment.

Welcome mates!!! Hope you find NS terrific as I have.

1 Like

Hi,

My name is Tohid and I live in India, I work with Linux servers mostly since
2011, I am looking towards nethserver to implement it to a small tech Industry
At the moment I have some projects which is related to alternative to Windows Server and other Microsoft infrastructure products for SMBs.
And also all in one doorstep features!!

regards to the community
tohid!!!

@Tohid_Tamboli Welcome among us :slight_smile:
Please, I desire share with everyone your PM message, because it’s really nice!

Thank you I am assuming nethserver to boom boom the worlds most used zentyal!
I am in community because im planning to use nethserver in my office for special reasons:-
1.squid caching
2.windows authentication
3.fileserver
4.owncloud
5.https blocking
6.centos
7.web based

1 Like

Hello i am new here, discover this great server yesterday

I live in The Netherlands (not in Holland :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

I work whit Linux about 15 years now. (hobby not professional)

I have a network of osx and Linux computers ad home. And 2 children that needs Windows for school so, also 2 windows laptops ( i don’t have windows knowledge i sad goodbye to windows at windows 3.11)

I came here because i was looking for a new server. At the time i have a Mac-mini whit osx and a virtual Linux openSUSe 13.1 server whit Kerio Conect.

I wanted to use the Mac in a different way. So when i get a present of a Assus Eepc, i thought that will bi my new server.

That’s why i came to Nethserver. At the time, (and for the following weeks) i try to keep a howto to migrate from Kirio Connekt to Nethserver.

Sorry for the bad English

1 Like

Hi Everyone;

Since '96 playing around with ESX and KVM, Windows server, Linux (Debian/RedHat), MacOS and sometimes with BSD (pfSense and FreeNAS).

I always searching for something manageable by a non-senior Techie (webui), having an active community for help and offer great possibilities.

So far; I like NethServer because it offering all of thoses

• Great and active communities
  • Strong base with CentOS / RedHat
  • Great choice of plugins : libvirt, snort, owncloud are my favourite.
1 Like

As is tradition, every Monday we welcome all our new members to this group. If you’re new here, please comment below and tell us who you are, where you are from and what you’re working on, what brings you to NethServer and what do you expect to find here.
If you’ve been here a while, you know what to do!
Looking at you @Jason @ibico @neuralnet @kayazeren @Dinesh_Upadhyay @Steven_Queue @ramiroec @JOduMonT @Tohid_Tamboli @Menal_Habib @umangeg @serlopord @MarcoMelegari

We’re trying to create a “water cooler” environment where people can go to engage in light-hearted conversation! Take a look at:

Don’t worry! Patience is mandatory here!

Thanks man! Glad to read your point of view and happy to have you aboard! :smiley:
We need your help to make this community more and better

Hello it’s Kaya Zeren from Turkey at 47 years old.

After working for years with combination of electronics, computer hardware, database programming, oilfield engineering and process documentation, my current job is simply IT Consultancy.

I always looked for an firewall/content filter/cache server for Small Businesses. Especially at field offices where we had limited satellite connection and controlling trafic was important. Easy remote managable system with simple hardware requirements was a must. So I was a big fan of IPCop in those days.

Last few years I also started to localize software (especially open source) as a hobby. So when I was working with Transifex translation platform, I found NethServer and completed Turkish translation.

I hope to collaborate these wonderful people & project.

2 Likes