WebTop Cloud Upload Link disappears

We have common mailbox for our reception team within which we create a folder for clients to securely upload files to us.
We create the folder as the reception user, and generate the Upload link with no expiry date and no password.
The upload link is then provided to our clients and they successfully upload documents to us, with the notification going to the common mailbox.
The documents are processed and then removed.
All good.
However, from time to time, with no apparent pattern, the folder and the upload link disappear, and clients get an error when following the link :frowning:
We login again as the reception user, recreate the folder with the same name, and re-generate the Upload link (which is identical to the previous one) and things are again working.
However, this keeps happening and weā€™d like to understand why and how to prevent it.
We need to have a permanently available secure uplink location for clients to send documents.
Can anyone tell us what we are doing wrong?
Thanks in advance,
Matt

Can you try to update to the last version and check if itā€™s ok? I know about some problems on public uploads but I donā€™t know if itā€™s related.

yum clean all && yum update -y \*webtop5\*

Thanks, we are running the latest version as we keep our system updated weekly.

There was a WebTop update over this past weekend, just after the Cloud folder had again disappeared.

So we re-created the Cloud folder and Upload Link after upgrading to the latest version of WebTop

Although the time it takes to disappear varies, it is usually weeks, rather than days, so I will have to watch for this to happen again and report back here if and when it happens.

Thanks for your help,

Matt

Hi Federico,

The Cloud Folder just disappeared on us again and had to be re-created.

This is the same pattern that has been recurring for many months now.

Tell me if thereā€™s any way I can assist with debug info, etc.

Cheers,

Matt

Hi @Matt1,
check if the username contains the character _
It could be this bug which has already been fixed :wink:

We are working these days for the release of 5.9.5 which will also contain this fix.

BR

1 Like

Hi Luca,

Thanks for the suggestion, but the username is simply ā€˜receptionā€™, so itā€™s not that. None of our usernames have non-alpha characters other than ā€˜.ā€™

Itā€™s also been working fine for uploads for weeks, and then the shared folder simply disappears without warning.

Is there a log of shared folder operations somewhere that I could keep an eye on?

Cheers,

Matt

It just happened again - the link and folder both disappeared and had to be recreated.

This was probably the quickest disappearance weā€™ve had.

Creating the folder in the same place with the same name and then generating the upload link with the same parameters (no password, no expiry) puts it back, but weā€™re only ever alerted to it by a client who fails to upload a document.

If thereā€™s anything I can do to help debug this, please let me know.

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Matt,
I have done several tests on my installations but unfortunately I cannot replicate your problem :thinking: :roll_eyes:

Where exactly is the shared folder from which you generate the upload link ?
Is it likely that it will be canceled by other transactions ?
Do you find anything useful in the webtop log ? (/var/log/webtop/webtop.log)

Hi Luca,

Intermittent bugs are always difficult to replicate :frowning:

The folder is the only folder under the top Documents folder in a shared mailbox in the WebTop Cloud. Itā€™s accessed by a team of people via WebTop sharing, and they have permissions to delete files from the folder once processed.

Originally I thought it was someone accidentally deleting the shared folder, but itā€™s happened often enough, and the team has incurred enough ā€œre-trainingā€ that Iā€™m now very confident that is not the case.

So the use cases are very few and simple once the folder is created and the public, non-expiring upload link generated :-

• upload link shared to lots of clients via email
  • clients upload document (mostly PDF, but sometimes JPG or other)
  • the shared mailbox receives an email notifying them of the new file
  • team member downloads that file and puts it into our DMS
  • team member deletes that file from the WebTop cloud folder, leaving the folder empty

At your suggestion I looked into the webtop.log file and I think I may have found an exception around the time it probably happened. I will need to dig up the old logfile from the last time it happened and see if I can find similar there too.

Hereā€™s the exception, which was thrown around 15 minutes after the last recorded upload to that folder, so probably around the time the team member was removing that file. We were alerted to the folder having disappeared about 90 minutes after the exception when a client tried to upload a file and the folder was gone. So it looks to me like the except was generated at the time of processing the last file, not when a client tried to upload a new file.

2020-11-26 19:10:15 [ERROR] com.sonicle.webtop.vfs.Service - Error in ManageStoresTree
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
at java.util.Arrays.sort(Arrays.java:1438)
at com.sonicle.webtop.vfs.VfsManager.listStoreFiles(VfsManager.java:639)
at com.sonicle.webtop.vfs.Service.processManageStoresTree(Service.java:435)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor658.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at com.sonicle.webtop.core.app.servlet.BaseRequest.invokeMethod(BaseRequest.java:109)
at com.sonicle.webtop.core.app.servlet.PrivateRequest.processRequest(PrivateRequest.java:86)
at com.sonicle.webtop.core.app.servlet.PrivateRequest.doGet(PrivateRequest.java:113)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:634)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:741)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:231)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:166)
at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:52)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:166)
at org.apache.shiro.web.servlet.ProxiedFilterChain.doFilter(ProxiedFilterChain.java:61)
at org.apache.shiro.web.servlet.AdviceFilter.executeChain(AdviceFilter.java:108)
at org.apache.shiro.web.servlet.AdviceFilter.doFilterInternal(AdviceFilter.java:137)
at org.apache.shiro.web.servlet.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:125)
at org.apache.shiro.web.servlet.ProxiedFilterChain.doFilter(ProxiedFilterChain.java:66)
at org.apache.shiro.web.servlet.AdviceFilter.executeChain(AdviceFilter.java:108)
at org.apache.shiro.web.servlet.AdviceFilter.doFilterInternal(AdviceFilter.java:137)
at org.apache.shiro.web.servlet.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:125)
at org.apache.shiro.web.servlet.ProxiedFilterChain.doFilter(ProxiedFilterChain.java:66)
at com.sonicle.webtop.core.app.shiro.filter.GZip.doFilterInternal(GZip.java:60)
at org.apache.shiro.web.servlet.AbstractShiroFilter.executeChain(AbstractShiroFilter.java:449)
at org.apache.shiro.web.servlet.AbstractShiroFilter$1.call(AbstractShiroFilter.java:365)
at org.apache.shiro.subject.support.SubjectCallable.doCall(SubjectCallable.java:90)
at org.apache.shiro.subject.support.SubjectCallable.call(SubjectCallable.java:83)
at org.apache.shiro.subject.support.DelegatingSubject.execute(DelegatingSubject.java:383)
at org.apache.shiro.web.servlet.AbstractShiroFilter.doFilterInternal(AbstractShiroFilter.java:362)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:199)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:96)
at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:543)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:139)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:81)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.RemoteIpValve.invoke(RemoteIpValve.java:747)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:87)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:343)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.service(Http11Processor.java:615)
at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProcessorLight.process(AbstractProcessorLight.java:65)
at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$ConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:818)

Iā€™ll go looking for the old logfile too.

Let me know if thereā€™s anything else I should look for.

Thanks again for your help with this,

Matt

2 Likes

Ok Matt, thanks so itā€™s much more detailed :wink:

Iā€™m afraid someone from the development team needs help: @matteo.albinola and @gabriele_bulfon do you have any idea what the problem might be from what the log reports ?

1 Like