WAN Link not getting switched to WAN2 if WAN1 is down

In my case, I’m using 100 & 1. It works well for failover aka “Active backup”. I didn’t test this theory, but I would think you could set it to 100 & 99 and it would act the same way in failover mode. The weights are more important in load balance mode.

One cool thing to mention: In failover/Active backup mode, I was able to setup IPsec VPN tunnels and port forwarding for email flow to go over the inactive backup connection. So it was a nice way to separate traffic while still providing redundancy… and you (for the most part) always know which WAN connection certain traffic is going over.

1 Like

I was experimenting with a similar configuration yesterday, but I found that the IPsec tunnel was not always using the backup link. I’m still trying to find the right option for the configuration file (I tried leftsourceip, I have to check interfaces).
How did you direct traffic to the backup link? With a static route? Did you customize ipsec.conf?
Thank you.

Sorry for the late response. I took a long weekend for some track time! :smiley:

Because this was all done in my test environment, the other end of the IPsec tunnels was not accessible through the other WAN connection. That may be why it seemed to be functioning reliably though the backup WAN connection for me, but I am now wondering if I need to do more testing. Doesn’t this option in the tunnel setup bind the IPsec tunnel to the selected interface?

Reading the manual, I’d say “yes”, but in my testing it didn’t.
I’ll test it again in the coming days.

P.S. Was that a Mazda 3?

I’m pretty sure I can setup a “real world” test between a couple sites. I’ll let you know how that testing goes.

Yes, Mazdaspeed 3. I believe it’s called a Mazda 3 MPS over there. It’s fun passing corvettes, and other much less practical cars in my “grocery getter”. :wink:

I said “was” because I thought it was tuned. But wikipedia tells me it was a production model.
Not sold in Italy, never saw it on the road, but 0-100 kph in 5.2 should be really funny.

It came from the factory with a turbo, but it’s also tuned a bit. I have it up to about 310 wheel horsepower now and gobs of torque. It’s a blast for sure! You can see the blue container full of methanol in the background of the picture I posted. :smiling_imp:

4 posts were split to a new topic: New configuration for the multi-wan monitoring