Vmail, how to recall lost e-mails!

“Excuse me, boss! I think I made a mistake…!”
That’s the scenery… I was setting up a demo-website and used an existing project as a template. We use Odoo, the open source ERP system…

This demo-system connected to the e-mail infrastructure servers and changed a bunch of things, including a clients e-mail. I changed the settings for the company name to “Company Name” and the e-mail was set to sara@companyname.se

Of course, our client was not so happy and lost some days of e-mail correspondence… Well. Not lost… and that’s my question! Where did they end up?

root@death_star: /var/lib/vmail/domains/

@jakobkrabbe

Hi jakobkrabbe

And welcome to the NethServer Forum!

Is your Mailserver a NethServer?

Normally, NethServer would use /var/lib/nethserver/vmail for mail-storage…

If it’s NOT a NethServer, you may need to query the forum of your Mailserver…

If you have a backup of your Mailserver, you could restore the mail folder, and see if you get the e-mails you’re looking for.
Do the restore on a seperate host, if possible, or you will backdate the server and lose more mail.

My 2 cents
Andy

3 Likes

Thank you for the reply and excuse me for answering you so quickly…!
I’m new to most of these things, but still responsible, sort of. After a search related to “vmail”, I got to this forum.

Last Friday, the boss killed the zombie process and made a sudo apt-get update / upgrade and all seemed fine. But now, Monday morning, all is back, the zombie and the waiting updates…

My notes say… “We’re running dovecot and it depends on postfix, spamassassin and amavis.”

@jakobkrabbe

Good Morning

This will not work on RHEL / Centos or NethServer:
sudo apt-get update / upgrade
as these commands are only for Debian/Ubuntu based systems.

If you can give us a bit more details of your network / environment (eg what is running where…), we could maybe help you a bit better… :slight_smile:

My 2 cents
Andy

Hello! This is so wrong… Excuse me! I wanted to write to you the personal note, but to my great surprise, there is no such information to be found! Maybe it’s optional!?

Anyway. You seem to be very good and very helpful. Thank you! I thought you were American, but from Europe…

I really like this forum, Discord, and I wanted to set up a forum myself and wanted to share ideas here… but they have a dedicated forum themselves. I can start at that end.

You are a really nice person but I’m at the wrong place asking the wrong questions…! Ha! I was not aware of that and it was not intentional. Again, excuse me! We use Ubuntu and I understand you don’t.

I don’t know how to write to you in person, it’s why I make this post…!

@jakobkrabbe

Hi

I actually DO use Ubuntu (& Debian, & Centos, and also a few BSD systems, also the obligatory Windows systems…).

If you want to set up Discourse on a NethServer, there IS a module for that:
https://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=modules

https://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=discourse

From your name, I’d assume you’re german, but that can be VERY misleading sometimes…
If you are, I’m at present in germany, smack in the middle. (70 km from Frankfurt, 30 km von Würzburg)…
If you click on my Image on the top left of each message, there’s a link (lower left) in the appearing box, which allows a private message (PM).

(Note, if I open the box, I don’t get shown that option, I only see it if I click on your header…)

Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-01 um 14.21.01

I do try my best to make things easier here for newcomers and old hands alike, as much time as I can spare while still getting my job done. :slight_smile:

In the Forum here, english is the chosen language, to let as much people profit from a solution as possible. In a PM, you can use english, german or french to me…

My 2 cents
Andy