Unable to validate smarthost settings

Thank you, that helped and I got it working.

I changed the SMTP user name to user@domain.org on smtp2go.com and the test succeeds.

I guess the test submits the username entered as the from address?

1 Like

we send an email by curl to validate if your smtp is valid, without domain we go nowhere

1 Like

we use the swak command in the sender relay, it should only try to authenticate, rather to send an email by curl like for the setting page . This explain why you failed

cc @giacomo @davidep

1 Like

AFAIK swaks doesn’t really sends an email Send SMTP AUTH probe with swaks by DavidePrincipi · Pull Request #119 · NethServer/nethserver-mail · GitHub.

We do not use the the -f option, maybe we can add it tune it a bit:

-f, --from [email-address]
       Use argument as envelope-sender for email, or prompt user if no argument specified.  The string <> can be supplied to mean the null sender.  If user does not
       specify a sender address a default value is used.  The domain-part of the default sender is a best guess at the fully-qualified domain name of the local
       host.  The method of determining the local-part varies.  On Windows, Win32::LoginName() is used.  On unix-ish platforms, the $LOGNAME environment variable is
       used if it is set.  Otherwise getpwuid(3) is used.  See also --force-getpwuid.

Let’s see what Davide says.

I am not sure now we have to send an email, like you see the key of the issue is the account name at smtp2go : user not user@domain.com

2 Likes

I am so pleased my issue will become a Nethserver improvement :grinning:

3 Likes