Trying to mount a usb disk to a folder

I have one more issue, not related to this at all, but I hope can “hi-jack” this thread for question … I have an external usb disk where I have data (hope they are still there). If I try to mount it to a folder it says mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1, …doing e2fsck it says superblock cannot be read or does not describe a valid …so I did e2fsck -b 32768 and still the same error.

I am already desperate … I really would like to save the data (or at least as big part as possible) on that drive, however I have no idea what should I do.

Any suggestions please?

which FS did you use on the external disk?

moreover, in such a case, never work on the source disk (the good one) without having a copy of the disk itself (done with dd)

1 Like

if I remember well, it is ext4.
and how can I do the copy/backup pls.?

well… first of all you need another disk, bigger than the source… and with a FS able to support big files (no, fat32 won’t work)

then you need to use dd from the cli… sorry, something you can do only from a linux machine…

finally
dd if=/dev/sdX of=path_to_disk_image/disk.img bs=4096 conv=sync,noerror

this will copy your disk to a disk.img file

please, be aware that it would take some time… hours

once you have the image, we’ll start to help you

Hi Stefano,

so I suppose it will not work with this setup:
external HDD is 2TB
I have another internal HDD which is 2TB, but there is the NS installed. So there is just a bit less space (let’s say 1.9TB). that is not enough, right?
Would it work let’s say in case I connect the internal drive to another linux machine, format it and then use as the backup drive?
Or does that really have to be e.g. 2.5TB, so the backup will fit there?

Thank you.

So I’ll try to reply to myself … after doing some googling I think (still not 100% sure) I was right and the disk where I’ll do the backup has to be bigger than the original 2TB HDD. Unfortunately I don’t have bigger one and currently have no possibility to borrow one, therefore I have to risk I’ll loose the data.
Therefore if you have any advices for me what could I do to try to get that data, I would really appreciate that.