Transfer Nextcloud to NethServer/Nextcloud

NethServer Version: 7.9.2009
Module: Nextcloud

Hello at all and sorry for my poor english!

I am new at NethServer and want to transfer my existing NextCloud Installation (Data, User and Shared Folders) in a new virtual maschine.
Current NC is 20.0.2 on Ubuntu 18.04.5

My question is: What happens to the registration of installed apps in NethServer?

Should I install NC in NethServer and then restore the backup from the old NC (maybe delete the fresh installed NC in NethServer before restore), so Neth know already there is a NC-Installation.
Or should I just restore the backup and NethServer will recognice the installed (restored) NC?

I’d like to have the possibility to administrate the NC in NethServer like I can, if I install and use it from a NethServer Installation of NC.

I hope someone understand, what I mean, in my head the question is really clear! :stuck_out_tongue:

Greetings and thanks in advance!

@SoehnelS

Hi Sven

And Welcome to the NethServer Community!

Maybe start by telling us, what your existing NC contains?

• Amount of Users?
  • Authenticification System? (Local, LDAP or AD?)
  • Size of Data stored
  • Lots of Apps?

The best and most stable way would be to:

• Setup a fresh NethServer as you did
  • Decide on either LDAP or AD - I’d go for AD, as this allows authenticated shares, not just “public” shares…
  • Recreate your users - by hand or an import script, if you have many
  • Setup NextCloud on the New Server as Admin with all Apps as before - some Apps need additional installations or stuff, like CODE…
  • Login to your old Nextcloud as each user and use the Backup/Transfer function to extract all data into a single file.
  • Login to the New Server as the same user, and upload your backup.

There might be easier ways, but we’ld need to know a bit more… :slight_smile:

My 2 cents
Andy

Ah, sorry, I forgott! :wink:

Very small environment just to connect the Family parts from the Philippines.
Users: 4
Auth.: Local
Size of Data: ~16GB
Apps: yes, a lot enabled (~30), but only important is OnlyOffice, Maps and the Shares, used to upload pictures from mobiles (but they get removed from time to time) and some software projects.

I’d like to use the DC option, but this is different to the current system, so maybe not so easy to switch, because I am not able to change the configuration on the mobiles and it is not easy to make it understandable to the other members.

So, if I understand well, every user should take a backup and restore of its own data?
Is the filestructure and the access rights with the backup restored then?

I read some documents, where the whole structure of NC is copied and transfered, also a DB-Backup for sure.
But that was only instructions to move NC from one server to another.
And I would like to have the NC installation recognized by NethServer adminitration software too.

Ah, the new server should replace the old one, so servername and also IP could be reused.

I am just curious, if NethServer recognized NC if I copy it from the old server, and if it is managable then too.

Thanks for your Informatons!

@SoehnelS

Hi

I don’t think a simple transfer of Nextcloud would work, even if you just copied over the database and folders.

There may be several other tripstones around too. NethServer uses templates for it’s configuration.
I’d do the solid way: migrate using the backup, but create your system first. It’s only 4 users…
Install all Apps first, before migrating, that way, all NC Backups go to the right place…

Note: Once you choose an Account Provider (LDAP or AD) it’s no more easy to change your Host or FQDN! Plan / Think first!

One Advantage of leaving NethServers integrated Nextcloud as it is: You get updates along with the OS, you only need to update Apps…

My 2 cents
Andy

Hello again and thanks for the suggestions.

I think, I will do it the way you explained and install NethServer first and copy the configuration manually, so it will be safe to get it working.

First I will check the DC and other things, what requirements I have and then install and configure it.

…and then I hope there is no complicated configuration for the users… :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks again, I will report the results!
I think on weekend I will give it a first try.

:+1:

1 Like

@SoehnelS

AD needs it’s own IP Address, I always use .11 for all my clients…
This IP must be different from your NethServer, and must be free on your Network.

A Tip:

As soon as your AD is up and running, create the group nextcloud-users first, and add all your users there.

In Nextcloud, AD section use this as a filter so that all the windows users and groups (System stuff) aren’t shown and distract…

Don’t forget NextCloud has it’s own admin user. One of the first tasks is to change that one’s password (NOT the Same as your NethServer Admin! as both users are the same, only diferentiated by Password!) and add in your NethServer Admin to the Nextcloud admin group.

Setting up users is very easy after you have decided on account provider. I’m using AD at home - and for all my 30 clients… It only needs a username, password, and choose the group membership. That’s all!

And as always: Good luck and do make backups before and after (In case you need a second run…).

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

So, like I said, I gave it a try.
I decided for now to use the authentication provided within NextCloud, like I have it in my old installation.
NethServer installed, NextCloud installed, found the locations and anything needed to manually move the files from old to new NC.

But when I check the NC-Installation, the DB looks a bit too old (MySQL 5.5 is only supported till NC 21, if I remember well).
So I see there are a lot of configurations to be done manually and maybe will break some things within NethServer.

I will try to setup the virtual maschine again, install first a newer MariaDB if possible to have the Nextcloud a bit more future safe and also I have to check the updates at all first, before I switch from the NC maschine to the NethServer/NC maschine.

But thats only the current state and a short feedback to show, the answers wasn’t for nothing… :wink:

1 Like

Hi,
Even there likely are some drawbacks using the stock maria-db (MySQL) version;
would stick with it if you like the one-click installation on Nethserver.
The Devs will find an answer if NC21 is not compatible with it.

Also See

Most definitely do not replace the stock maria-db…
You probably break other nethserver-modules too :astonished:

2 Likes

Hi!

Yes, you are very right, I wouldn’t change the include Database, because I am for sure not able to see all the resulting problems. :slight_smile:

I really understand there is a lot of work and brain behind NethServer to let it work all together and there are lot of peoples satisfied with all the included solutions.
But sadly for now NethServer can’t be a solution for my requirements.

Anyway it is a very interesting set of solutions, so I will try it from time to time for sure.
Not at least because of the great and fast community! :slight_smile:

1 Like