Thoughts about NethServer Mission,Vision and Values

Hi,

this rate can I sign to 100 percent. One big like from my side for this words.
With the rest i am also totaly agree

Regards

Uwe

5 Likes

Thanks guys @transocean @dnutan

I’m keen to know thoughts/like of @Hunv @jackyes @WillZen @fasttech @Adam @jgjimenezs @GG_jr @Nas @robb @stephdl @davidep @filippo_carletti @syntaxerrormmm @flatspin @enzoturri @vhinzsanchez
It would be great if it gets as widely shared as possible.

2 Likes

Hi @alefattorini

It looks like your Community Strategy course was the money and time worth. I like your thought and agree with them.

Your work here is great and you motivate me with your post to come back also I don’t have much time.
:clap::clap::clap:

6 Likes

The human factor is one of the most important, be taken consderacion leads to a higher state of encouragement that motivates them to continue working towards an idea. to make it a reality

Excellent friend @alefattorini

5 Likes

From decades, “some guys” try hard to combine the technology with the human body to create the Cyborg.

Here, we are close to combine The NethServer Project (the technology) with The NethServer Community (the human factor).

Here, I think we are close to create The NethServer Cyborg:

- The Vision: making a strong NethServer community to make the sysadmin’s life, easier with Open Source.
- The Mission: being the most vibrant, supportive and friendly community in the open source space (and not just…), supported by the power of a Linux server without complexity.
- The Values: put the human factor first (or At NethServer we put the people first), learn by doing, be always inclusive, don’t be afraid to ask ‘stupid questions’, YOUR participation counts, community belongs to all of us, Linux Easy for everyone, All-in-One, Open, Simple, Customizable.

The Technology/Machine/Tool and the Human!

Good job Alessio, good job to all! :clap::clap::clap:

PS:
I only put together what Alessio said in the first article.

1 Like

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

1 Like

my 2c

The project vision being easier with Open Source… there’s nothing easy about open source, perhaps the majority of NS users are here for … “free”… free and open source are not the same, open source has licensing… open source means you can look under the hood, tinker and audit, it does not mean free… frankly my guess is most are here because they need a free server, some are prepared for the work of making it useful for them, many are not… the question is… where are we at in 5 years, can we sustain this as a free server distro so users can depend on it in 5 years, that they will not be looking for another free solution in two years because this community didn’t have the resources to support a free and open source NS for the long term, can we continue to respond to major disruptions like the ownCloud fork?
We make the sysadmins life easier not because of open source but because we wrap open source in an easy to administer gui.

my edit of mission…
Mission; To leverage the power of Linux without the complexity.

Your project Values… is a collection of buzzwords, it’s not a value statement.

my edit…
Values… Supporting the community of sysadmins, be they home or business, with a powerful package of software to serve everyone, that will be free, open, dependable and sustainable for the long term.

8 Likes

:thumbsup:

1 Like

Hi @alefattorini, sorry for the late answer. I was on vacantion.

The project and the community are strongly connected. One can’t be without the other, unless nethserver will become a commercial product. I hope that that won’t be (not like SOGo) . :wink:
So I think the vision, mission and values of the community should point to this marks of the project.
I agree with your definitions, but I would like to add one thing: ACTIVE participation and ACTIVE feedback is the most usefull and valueable thing.
The more people are thinking about a problem, the more solutions will come up and only then we can find the optimum result. If we accept the first solution as the best, that won’t be the best. Almost every problem has more then one solution. The community has to bring feedback to the dev-team.

I like the definition of @fasttech “free, open, dependable and sustainable for the long term

4 Likes

Hi guys, I’m back from vacation too. I loved this discussion and @fasttech’s attempt to mesh with @alefattorini words.

I don’t catch the difference between the terms “NethServer Project” and “NethServer Community”. @alefattorini why do you need to distinct them in your homework?

Like it. Just edited.

You know, buzzwords are useful to understand your aims and rules :slight_smile:
I like your rewording, what do you think about that? More focused on NethServer.

NethServer supports the community of sysadmins, be they home or business, with a powerful package of software to serve everyone, that will be free, open, dependable and sustainable for the long term.

That’s true but on the other hand NethServer isn’t just the GUI. Don’t you think?

1 Like

That’s my first personal goal! Thanks for putting it in simple terms. And as you already know, Active participation is WHY I am here. Please help us to make it come true!

From my point of view, they have two different vision/missions. The first makes sysadmin’s life easier while the latter connects people each other and to NethServer. I could try to merge both :slight_smile: and see what happens

2 Likes

You’ve already did!
Already happening!

My dilemma is: what do we see?
A great Community around a very good product or a very good product around a great Community?

2 Likes

I don’t think the choice or dilemma is that difficult (nor important). We are here BECAUSE of the product, not the other way around. This does not mean that we shouldn’t put a lot of effort in the community.

IMO we have a great community around a very good product. For both things we can and should put up specific visions and missions. See it as statements for the technical part (the project) and the human part (the community).

Maybe those statements are full of buzzwords. That is not a bad thing as long we fill in that statement with clearly formulated points to work by.
I think we can learn a lot from the Ubuntu philosophy and how Ubuntu has set up its community. I do like cherry picking so take what we can use of it… :slight_smile:

I think I should have put this :wink: after the question mark. :slight_smile:

Of course we, the Community, are here because of the NethServer (the Product)!

No offense to anyone, but NethServer has got to the level that is only with the huge work, without any doubt, of the Nethesis, without, already put, the aid and the effort of the community?

Now, I will correct what I wrote and I will tell this, this time without dilemma for me:

Yes Alessio, you already did it: A great Community around a very good Product AND a very good Product around a great Community! (the order is only alphabetical, given by Community and Product)

1 Like

Will do my best! :slight_smile:

wow perfectly agree

3 Likes

Happy to hear that :wink: do you think we’re achieving our mission?

until now I´ve the impression yes- even during the holidays there have been responses to posts and there have been discussions. I really think, that this project has the ability to form a high level SBS alternative, And as far far I´m concerned I´d be proud to be a part of it. I´m not a technician, but I think a kind of knowing user, who probably give you the connection between users in real life and technical opportunities of modern IT Systems.
And again thank you for the warm welcome, and the help I was already able to receive.

7 Likes

I appreciate your trust Thomas, it’s because of people like you that our community is what it is now.

4 Likes