Testers needed nethserver-arm img

Thank you! (as always) a thorough report which makes it better for the future!

According to a quick search the (early stage) Fast Interrupt (FIQ) warnings can be ignored.

I see urandom running out of entropy all the time while the kernel still runs in the initramfs. And because it occurs during this stage installing haveged does not help…

Can not reproduce this :thinking:
@mrmarkuz does systemctl status systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service give any clue’s?

With both images the kdump.sercice fails for different reasons. On NS x86_64 the service is disabed by default. I’m considering to even mask ( systemctl mask kdump ) the service on armhfp. tagging this as Bug (thanks)

1 Like

Announcement:

The devel repository is moved to another location, again kindly provided by @mrmarkuz. :clap:

Please update your installs to make this change effective

yum update

-or-

yum install https://mrmarkuz.goip.de/mirror/nethserver-arm/7.5.1804/nethserver-release-7-arm.noarch.rpm 

For fresh installs: Please download new images who have this change in place:

Nethserver-7.5.1804-Devel-RaspberryPi-img.raw.xz
Nethserver-7.5.1804-Devel-Generic-img.raw.xz

Tip: take a look at the two bash scripts in the nethserver-arm-dev issue tracker if you want to “curl” them from the command line.

other change:
The above discused bug regarding systemd: kdump.service failed is solved by masking this service

3 Likes

finally i had some free time… i have done a rebuild for arm if you want to test it (on aarch64, install is ok… backup to test :slight_smile: )

if you have some time to test it:

http://mirror.framassa.org/nethserver7-arm/other/

3 Likes

Wow!!

Here is a qcow image for qemu emulation/virtualization of armhfp on x86_64 with a large address space lpae kernel included.

On Fedora 28 (can not get it to work on Centos) it is possible to emulate armhfp. On my hardware it’s dead slow (boot takes about 70 sec…) but is seems to work. :grinning:

sudo dnf install qemu-system-arm virt-install libvirt libvirt-python libguestfs-tools
(above is deducted from bash_history ; not sure if I installed more in the past )

Download the image and unpack it on a convenient place
xz -vdk -T 0 Centos-Qemu-lpae-armhfp.qcow2.xz

Extract the kernel from the image:
virt-builder --get-kernel Centos-Qemu-lpae-armhfp.qcow2

Then create the emulated virtual machine:

virt-install  --name centos7_armhfp  --memory 2048 --vcpus 2 \
--boot kernel=vmlinuz-4.14.78-201.el7.armv7hl+lpae,\
initrd=initramfs-4.14.78-201.el7.armv7hl+lpae.img,\
kernel_args="console=ttyAMA0 rw root=LABEL=_/ rootwait" \
--disk Centos-Qemu-lpae-armhfp.qcow2 \
--import  --arch armv7l  --machine virt

It should boot :sunglasses: (as said it’s dead slow…)

login: root
passwd: centos

useful commands:

^] > leave the console of the VM (=“CNTRL + ]”, like telnet… )

virsh destroy centos7_armhfp > stop the VM
virsh edit centos7_armhfp > edit libvirt configuration of VM
virsh start centos7_armhfp > start the VM
virsh console centos7_armhfp > get a console for the started VM
virsh undefine centos7_armhfp > delete/remove the VM

Not sure if it has any useful purpose :question:

About using swap for NS7 on ARM, I think it would be a good idea, a while ago I created a post showing how to make a service for zram.

1 Like

Hi Juan,

Your post post was actually one of the references for the implementation we are testing now. :heart_eyes: :+1:

In the arch linux philosophy we made it simpler… AFAIK zram is multi threading in modern kernels and you do not need to dispatch it over the (cpu)cores…?..

Do you know if this is true…

1 Like

Yes, I have read about that, yet I prefer to dispatch it over cpu cores because I can’t tell whether zram on my kernel is coded for multi-thread or not, safety first.

1 Like

ok I am in, booted my arm, I succeed by etcher to burn the arm iso, failed with dd.

I can see that wpa supplicant is installed and the wlan0 seems ok…that means it is ready for wireless ?

2 Likes

Yes, wireless should work.

1 Like

i saw my sd card is not fully used, there is a way to extend to the full size (16gb)

cat /root/README :wink:

2 Likes

rootfs-expand

1 Like

I read the readme of arm-dev :slight_smile:

For the wiki, a page called ‘Nethserver on Raspberry PI’ would be a nice thing to have. Very few people know about ‘ARM’ or other tech details, al they need to know how a $30 computer can run Nethserver :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great idea. It’s easier to advertise compared to a long discussion like this.
Can we try to collect all info there?

I like to do an other proposal:
Start writing first chapter, getting started, of the documentation on github.
The simple fact there is an outdated “How to install Nethserver 7 on a RaspberryPI2/3” wiki page a kind of proves wiki’s don’t work :sunglasses:… Oke biased, I think wiki’s don’t work (and this is a mild description of my opinion…)

Most of all i’d like to prevent keeping several different information sources up to date.
also see and comment on : ARM development: next steps : “Documentation

1 Like

I agree with @mark_nl.

Also @alefattorini @LayLow : please not that we already decided to move the documentation inside the main manual.

1 Like

Wiki is simple, people with a low level of knowledge could start to write, others could correct the bad syntax…write the documentation on readthedoc, it is like coding, I think it is not so easy, and you must follow good practices.

so cons and pros

1 Like

@mark_nl,

any thoughts on this new kid on the block?

1 Like