Successfully setup nextcloud, some questions remaining

Hi

I’d second the proxmox suggestion right away!

You’ld be done installing - depending on the hosting provider - in 15.-20 mins, therafter you only need to worry about your VMs - nethserver or another VM can be your Firewall (I wouldn’t use Proxmox directly, but it CAN do it!). A seperate firewall is easier than muddling around with proxmox, which just works and is rock stable!

I’ve been using Proxmox for about 30 KMU (SME) here in Switzerland, and it’s NEVER let me down - in over 3 years!

Other’s may think spending two days on a linux firewall is highly productive and an overkill!

:slight_smile:

Hi

Just 2-3 Months ago I had to help set up monitoring for radio services. I chose NethServer with Zabbix…

We had to install that on a hosting provider and requested a Centos 7 Basis - they installed first Ubuntu and we had to mail them to prepare Centos for us.

After that, things went fast. The system is live now for a while, and if you’re listening to any swiss radio over DAB+, then it’s monitored by that system!

Just to show that even with external hosting providers here in Switzerland, who actually even understand Swiss-German, a simple request is ignored, “here, use Ubuntu…” and time wasted!

Andy

Hm, I wonder if its worth a try with webmin. In the meanwile I am copying over my 500 GB qcow 2 I created for our windows server :D. But as most of the disk is empty, scp is quite efficient with C option for compressing. Well a speratate firewall is not an option as the server is hosted. But what I could do, is autoinstall debian via webinterface and then install promox on it. Still reading about webmin first. Thanks for your apreciated help! :slight_smile:

That would work (Debian -> Proxmox) like I used Centos -> NethServer for the radio monitoring.
In this case, the environment already had a firewall and vpns to all sites (quite a few)!

I any case, the guy who developped webmin, Jamie Cameron, works since then for Google, afaik…

I used webmin for several years to administrate my OpenBSD DNS servers, it worked well!

While waiting for the qcow2 to transfer, I already am installing webmin. While reading, it came to my mind, if selinux (with which I have no experience at all) could be the culprit? I’ll check how the system behaves with having it disabled. I mean open a port is not something that should have such sideeffects anyway.

One way or another I will get my nethserver production ready :smiley:

SELinux could easily be a culprit!

it’s even inactive on NethServer, and i usually don’t install it when I’m setting up Linux Servers for my clients…

SELinux has caused me enough headaches and time wasted in the past.
Like AppArmour by Suse / Novell (earlier)…

It was autoinstalled by the hoster :see_no_evil:

Same with me and the Ubuntu - even when we mailed a request for Centos, listed in their options… :slight_smile:

PS: Using Webmin actually made me learn administrating BIND quite well - although even today i prefer using webmin.

A lengthy file can’t be sorted and fluffed with any editor, wheras webmin can sort lists…

Does deactivating SELinux help?

I will check, once transfer of the disk has finished. Mhm, wemin installed on host, then first tried to connect via ssh tunneling as I did for cockpit through internet. Then opened port 10000 but nothing

I extensively use SCP (or rather RSync) to provide clients with offsite backups.
SCP usually for one-of, and RSync for regular (like nightly).

It is quite fast!

You using SSL with webmin?

Webmin provides for it’s own webserver, and can do it’s own ssl! without apache, nginx or any others…

after installation there was no final message:
Webmin install complete. You can now login to https://centos8:10000/
as root with your root password

netstat -ant | grep 10000
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:10000 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN

ps -ef | grep webmin
root 13315 1 0 18:55 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/perl /usr/libexec/webmin/miniserv.pl /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf
root 17104 10718 0 19:17 pts/0 00:00:00 grep --color=auto webmin

then it has ssl (https…)

It uses ssleay underneath.

But https://ip or ourdomain.com:10000 gives site not found. About time, to reinstall that server seems messed for good :smiley:

try it from localhost, using a textbrowser…
It may also have to do with SELinux…

Did you read this?

https://doxfer.webmin.com/Webmin/Installation

See FW rules / IPtables…

Will do so, although have done setenforce 0 and set to permissive and port opened. Ah now it works, did with firewall-cmd now… Lets have a look at it :slight_smile:

These may help:

https://doxfer.webmin.com/Webmin/Linux_Firewall

Mhm, I am a hero, klicked on changing theme, and now it is unusuable … Most of the page turned white with no possibility to change back. Will have to clean and reinstall probably

A friend changed the language - just for the kicks - to arabic!
Took him a while to repair it!

Luckily reinstalling is fast in linux:
Clean out the /etc/webmin folder too!

I only uesd the standard and the older standard theme, though i did play about with them, but only on a local box for testing.