[SOLVED] Data Backup one way and Restore another way on a different hardware

In short: Server1 data backup to NFS, remove data backup HDD and plug it into Server2 (can’t be on the network together with Server1), Server2 restore data backup from locally mounted HDD = impossible?

I’m moving my server from one hardware to another. What I’ve done so far:

1. Create new NethServer on new hardware from ISO
  2. Copy config backup from old hardware server to new and restore it (with reassigning NIC)
  3. New NethServer is working well with all services including AD

Now I’m trying to back up all data and move it to the new hardware. Since my old server is still running (providing services to many users), and all of it’s IP settings are identical to the new server – I can’t have them on the same network at the same time.

So, I decided to plug into my network another Ubuntu computer with extra temporary HDD shared via NFS. I was able to use duplicity procedure and backed up all data to that 3rd computer HDD.

Now I unplugged HDD from Ubuntu computer and plugged it into the new server hoping to restore that data backup… But, there is no way to do it. Although I mounted the backup HDD with new NethServer, it is not available as an option to restore from local backup (of course, first I’m trying to create new scheduled backup on the local disk but the mounted disk it’s not showing).

The disk was formatted to EXT4 and backed up through NFS share.

It looks like data backup isn’t as flexible as config backup. You can’t just enter the backup section and choose to restore from anything you want.

What would be the best way for me to restore my data into the new server created from scratch with imported config (and both can’t be on the same network at the same time… and old server must be on 24/7)?

@sashaluda

Hi

Do NOT mount the backup disk, the backup will do that for you! If you mount it, it won’t work!

Once that works, you’ld need to point the backup to the index file (can’t recall it’s name) on that disk, from then on the backup know’s whats available and you can restore from there.

My 2 cents
Andy

5 Likes

Amazing!!!
Yes!

1. Create new scheduled data backup
  2. Local
  3. Choose unmounted HDD
  4. Check → Next
  5. I named it the same
  6. Restore → choose the same name.

Wow! Who would have thought that the backup dialogue needs unmounted HDD?!

Thank you!
SOLVED

3 Likes

@sashaluda

Hi

Please add in the solved tag, it might help others… :slight_smile:

My 2 cents
Andy

Hi,

I just added [SOLVED] in the header of the topic – is this right, or there is another way to tag it properly?
(first time in my life I’m tagging something SOLVED!)

Sincerely,
Sasha

1 Like

@sashaluda

Hi

See this:

And solution took only 6 minutes! :slight_smile:

In my personal opinion, NethServer has one of the best forums in OpenSource, a great part of it are the people behind it and active here on this platform!

My 2 cents
Andy

4 Likes

Dear Andy,

It took me 7 minutes to find “Solution” button… I feel like an absolute beginner. Only when I re-entered the topic (refreshed the page), the tag showed at your first answer. … Hm… I’m getting old for all these new tricks.
And yes, I must say that when I was in absolute panic having ruined my server config… people responded within minutes to help. This forum is alive!

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Sasha

5 Likes

@sashaluda

You’ll find that this forum has amazing members, often willing to help in stuff not directly concerning NethServer - and with a great depth of know-how!

Our rule of thumb:

The only stupid questions are the ones not asked! :slight_smile:

My 2 cents
Andy

3 Likes