Sogo, nextcloud : Multiple virtual hosts?

Indeed Rob. I thought i was clear on this in my last post, but that “feature“ looks really difficult to explain and / or understand.

Matthieu G. (en mode mobile)

Hello everyone!

A stupid question: is it possible to install many Nextcloud instances in virtual hosts as subdomains of one domain on the same NS?
Something like this:
cloud-one.mydomain.tld
cloud-two.mydomain.tld

cloud-n.mydomain.tld

TIA,
Gabriel

I think it’s possible but you need to manually configure the instances (AD/LDAP, PHP and so on)

1 Like

Hi @mrmarkuz !

Thank you for your reply!

I will use the same LDAP like the main domain and the user accounts will be create under the main domain.

For the rest of settings, will be enough to run these commands for each instance?

config setprop nextcloud VirtualHost cloud-one.mydomain.tld
config setprop nextcloud TrustedDomains cloud-one.mydomain.tld
signal-event nethserver-nextcloud-update

Another question: is necessary to create virtual hosts for each instance before running those commands, or the first command will create the virtual host?

Gabriel

No, I think you need to manually install and configure each instance in a virtualhost. There are no e-smith db properties for these instances.

1 Like

OK but Nextcloud as NS package can be install only once. So … :cold_sweat:
I think will be more simple to use vm for each subdomain :smiley:

3 Likes

Yes. Which is why he said:

“Manually install and configure.”
https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/latest/admin_manual/installation/index.html

1 Like

Thanks @danb35 and @mrmarkuz for your comments.

I read the manual and I think I will be able to do the installation manually.
For now I just wanted to know what are the possibilities of installing Nextcloud for different uses.
I want and I need to offer cloud services for different companies.
Some of companies have their own domains, others do not.
Also, some companies that have their own domains only need cloud services, others need www, mail and cloud.
The same requirements for companies that do not have their own domains.
So I have to get the optimal configuration for each requirement and, of course, I want to use NethServer.

Kind regards,
Gabriel

1 Like

Question : Why not one instance with users isolated between them by the use of groups ? That’s what I do.

1 Like

Hi @pagaille ,

Your solution use a single instance of Nextcloud for different companies (this is one of my goal)?
You do this on NS? In this moment I can’t figure how and I do not have yet a test server.

For companies that not have their own domain, or they need only cloud services, I thought to offer cloud services as subdomain for my domain, like this:
cloud-companyA.mydomain.ro
cloud-companyB.mydomain.ro
cloud-companyC.mydomain.ro
That means I should use virtual hosts and each company has own cloud.
The accounts for all companies will be under mydomain.ro.

@GG_jr
@pagaille

Hi

I also offer these services. User Base is from the server (NethServer AD), each client (Company) is at least a member of client_COMPANYNAME group…
Only problem is often asked questions, like who are these users. Nextcloud will still display ALL users.
I never bothered to make a NextCloud instance for these companies, usually A) too small, B) no own domain (most).

But this works quite well!

Andy

1 Like

Yes. Simply define groups, wether at Nextcloud level or LDAP level. People not in that a group can’t see them at all. The only problem I didn’t fix until now is removing the default ‘locals’ LDAP group that makes users visible between them in the Contacts app.

At Nextcloud level (creating an user in Nextcloud, not NS) simply define a group manually and maybe make one user group admin and you’re good to go.

Regarding the virtual domain I simply defined one then copied /etc/httpd/conf.d/zz_nextcloud.conf to /etc/httpd/conf.d/zz_nextcloud_anotherCompany.conf and edited it by replacing the needed domains. This is not incredibly beautiful but it works and should survive an update.

1 Like

I think it’s possible from Administration → LDAP / AD integration → Groups but I do not have a test server and I’m afraid to play with my online server.

That’s why VMs were invented. You can even do it on your desktop using VirtualBox.

3 Likes

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I know that!
Till some months ago, I had a “big” server with Proxmox …
After many, many years in the same company, I made a step forward (I hope!) and I started to work for my own company (almost my company because is still my daughter’s company but I do anything I want here) and, as a fresh start, it’s pretty hard … with the hardware. :smiley:
I have a single server hosted in the data center of the company for I worked before, with NS of course, with my website, email and Nextcloud.
I hope to have my own servers soon. Till then, my laptop is not enough.

Kind regards,
Gabriel

@GG_jr

Hi Gabriel

Good Luck with your “Family” Business! Self employment isn’t easy - but mostly satisfiying!

See here for a few ideas for your network:
https://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=userguide:nethserver_and_proxmox

My 2 cents
Andy

2 Likes