SLES12 based Nethserver implementation?

Currently the Nethserver appliance is based on CENTOS which in turn is based on RHEL. I wanted to know if there were any considerations to maybe release a version of Nethserver based on Suse Enterprise Linux Server 12 (https://www.suse.com/products/server/) or OpenSuse (https://www.opensuse.org/en)? The reason being that a) Suse is the the number 2 enterprise certified linux distribution, so it has a big presence b) It is an RPM based distro so it would be an easy transistion c) It has a long history of integration into a hybrid environment with Windows servers d) it has a history of being implemented as an appliance before via Novell and most importantly for me, e) It is the only Linux distro which uses the BTRFS filesystem as standard. Would the Nethserver team consider dong this? :sunglasses:

hi, welcome here…

I’m quite sure that no, there will be no Nethserver based on opensuse.

you’d better explain us your needs (for example about BTRFS) .

Centos is almost 100% RHEL, i.e. any RHEL certified hw will run Nethserver without any issue…

1 Like

Up until recently, I have been using Suse (both for servers and workstation usage – I am typing this comment on a openSuse, KDE based workstation). True, Novell does maintain / develop Suse and Novell has a long history of providing network services within a MS Windows environment (I have deployed and administrated many Novell Netware networks - both bindery and directory services environments - I started using Netware over 20 years ago. Hell, I am starting to feel old! :worried: )

Novell / SUSE has a long and complex relationship / history with Microsoft (who remembers the Novell / MS patent agreements of the last decade?). Suse is still one of my favourite distributions. I love the idea of centralised system control panels like Yast (I also like Mageia Control Center - how many people can remember Mandrake?). Suse / Novell has been known to contribute to various OSS projects including Open / Libre Office and KDE (OpenSuse maintains one of the best KDE workstation environments available).

@panoptiq, considering the history of Novell, I can understand why you trust / use Suse.
Anyway, ignoring my love of Novell, I want to pick up on two issues:

A. It is a bit unrealistic to expect a provider of a distro to completely change the base setup (you wouldn’t expect Canonical to change Ubuntu from a Debian to a Gentoo based disto). This change would involve a lot of work.

Nevertheless, it would be interesting to see a new Smb / server distro based on Suse (I have deployed quite a few servers based on openSuse and Webmin).

B. I have some concerns about BTRFS, I have read various documents that would suggest that BTRFS is not stable enough to be used in a live environment and I have found that BTRFS snapshots can consume a lot of disk space when running Suse with a reasonable sized root partition (20GB).

I would recommend that you use EXT4 on any root / system and home partition (you can try XFS on large home / data storage partitions).

2 Likes

I used to use mandrake, for desktops in company, users loved it and it was
not so traumatic to move from windows 95/98 to Linux with Mandrake.

About Suse, you’re right in my company linux servers are running Suse, they
prefer it to centos because of yast and the support, but i prefer centos
based by far.

1 Like