Shared folders without Active Directory

@mrmarkuz are these manually access changes durable or will they be automatically overwritten next time by nethserver itself, or are there other disadvantages ?

If this method works stable, so it seems to me a perfect alternative to allow permissioned share access without need to install Domain Controller but use only LDAP like it was in NS6.

And if it’s really so simple, why wasn’t it recommended in earlier questions for using share folders without AD ?

Is it possible to use the same way with groups too, instead of single users ?

I’ll be thankfull for a little more explanation.

This was intended as a workaround for having a non-guest share accessible by one user without installing an account provider.

Yes, they should be persistent as the changes are done in the config database.

Nethserver 7 uses LDAP/AD database to store users whereas for this workaround a local user is created. It won’t work with LDAP users.
Another problem with this approach is that you can’t do anything in the web UI as regards local users.
If you need an account provider and non-guest shares you should go the AD account provider way, see Account provider docs.

I didn’t test but it should be possible:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Standalone_Server#Local_Group_Management

1 Like

@mrmarkuz your’e right.

This way you will create just local users that are not syncronized to LDAP users.

I was confused because tested with usernames also created before in web UI.

But reversely users created locally don’t show up in nethserver web UI.

So it’s practicable for few users but with many will end up in a mess.

Thanks for explanation, so I better will go on with AD instead.

1 Like