Samba folder into /home

NethServer Version: 7

Module: samba
i install ns in 160 gb hhd 20 gb for root and 125 gb for home .
and active samba for file share i found file in sharing put into root partition i want make samba folder into home partition

[root@server ~]# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 19G 4.7G 13G 28% /
devtmpfs 487M 0 487M 0% /dev
tmpfs 497M 0 497M 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 497M 6.8M 490M 2% /run
tmpfs 497M 0 497M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sda3 127G 61M 120G 1% /home
tmpfs 100M 0 100M 0% /run/user/0

Hi @ahmedhassan

Nethserver uses as working directory /var/lib/nethserver.
The correct solution is to mount the partition (125GB) in this folder.
(Editing the fstab file will not need to reinstall NS)

Alternatively, you can work around the problem with symbolic links. I do not recommend it. You should act as a shell for each share, enter the home folder manually in backup.

Nethserver, like all products, has a standard folder structure. To avoid problems it is appropriate to maintain it.

1 Like

The correct solution is to mount the partition (125GB) in this folder.
(Editing the fstab file will not need to reinstall NS)

can i do that
??
that is first time use linux

For me the solution is to reinstall the server, you did a custom partition which is not appropriated to a server.

/Home on a server is a awful :wink:

1 Like

No… if you respect the Unix philosophy… /home os the right directory :wink:

For a desktop yes, never for a server

I disagree… I have dozens of server, not only centos based, and all of them use /home

Why do you need the /home on a server ?

I don’t think it is a good idea to advice a newby to do custom partitions :wink:

first of all, let me clarify: a custom partition scheme is often unecessary… so I agree with you that a novice should never play with partition scheme…

That said, I simply said that I disagree with your opinion… /home is still used on many distribution, even on server flavour distro :wink:

It’s complex to explain so…one like sometime is better:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard :wink:

1 Like

Interesting… I can’t see anything that say that user’s data must be in /var/lib…
instead, I read clearly

/home
Users’ home directories, containing saved files, personal settings, etc.

If you are new on Linux (and you have not installed anything) the easiest thing is to reinstall Nethserver with standard options.

2 Likes

http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_3.0/fhs/ch03s08.html#ftn.idm236092753536

/home is a fairly standard concept, but it is clearly a site-specific filesystem. [6] The setup will differ from host to host. Therefore, no program should assume any specific location for a home directory, rather it should query for it. [7]

“site specific” doesn’t mean anything in this “domain”…
you’d think about you’d have users (samba)… /home is the place… do you have mail too? well… /home is good too

anyway… I repeat… as long as everything is clear (and must be since setup if not unattended one, IOW user must be steered properly) and documented, one place or other is the same…
the issue is when you have zillions of people that worked for years on the same distro (the underlying O.S.) and are in habit of using /home
that’s all

finally: creating an “all web driven interface and idiot proof product” has the drawback that users won’t ask themselves anything and will ignore what’s going on behind the scenes (like windows did since epoch and still does)… this will simplify many things and it’s destined to work flawlessy as long as you do the things following the designed path… once you have troubles and have to debug or, simply, want to customize the product (it’s OO.SS and everything is customizable) you can find yourself in trouble… the monkey ready interface (and logic) must be a right balance between the desire to make things easier and the necessity to maintain some kind of control, knowledge and awareness of what’s you’re using
in another post Giacomo said that you hide a button to avoid your customers to open too many support tickets… this is not the right approach and this kind of thing is quite a good example of what I meant above.