Roadmap for Q1 2016

Not only Enterprises need AD. Schools also need a platform independent user management solution. And AD (through Samba4) is a decent option for this. And the more user accounts, the more you need it. I would start using this from 15 users and more, or something like that.

Samba4 is perfectly capable to add any (linux, windows and OSX) platform. Have a look at the implementation at Karoshi Linux (www.linuxschools.com) Through a bash script Samba gets pre provisioned. For a school this is a very nice feature but also can be left out. Maybe NS can copy some of the provisioning scripts from Karoshi Linux.

Sure, I agree Samba and AD could deal with Mac Os and Linux.
But for a Small business (i smaller than 10 computers ) is it worth to implement It.

Or the ā€œtraditionalā€ way is simpler and better?

If the implementation is like 1 mouseclick away, then it should not be a problem. It can have a lot of advantages even in small environments.

In Samba4 and Windows AD there is no primairy domain controller. All DCā€™s can add and change useraccounts. With the old (WinNT and Samba3) accounting system, accounts can only added and changed on the PDC.

But itā€™s one solution between other. It can be a stategy.

Itā€™s another possibilityā€¦

nobody has THE solutionā€¦ Each enterprise, each activity has itā€™s own need and itā€™s own solution.
Donā€™t restrict the way to use, offer a backup link, itā€™s only ONE way to doā€¦ There others ways, others possibility to offer :wink:

Jim: MX is a DNS record, usally managed by your ISP, so NS is not involvedā€¦

now, is it clear that talking about MX backup is quite useless?
then, almost all mail servers (mta) are able to store in the queue mails that canā€™t be delivered because of issues on recipientā€™s sideā€¦ that said, youā€™re just looking for complications :wink:

1 Like

Most registrars offer a backup MX solution out of the box. It stores mail when your own mailserver is down. There for the backup MX has a lower priority to handle delivery of new mail and will all mail always be delivered at your mailserver and not the backup MX of the registrar.

The backup Mx is a RFC, is perfectlly defined:

A target server, i.e. one that knows how to deliver to the relevant userā€™s e-mail mailbox is typically one which is the most preferred. Lower priority servers, a.k.a. backup MX or secondary MX, usually keep the messages in a queue waiting for the primary server to become available. If both servers are online or in some way connected to one another, the backup MX will typically queue a message briefly and immediately forward it to the primary MX. The backup MX acts as a store and forward mail server.

I would prefer Nethserver integrate this and let the user ( the sysadmin ) choose how he will use itā€¦ Choose the resilience he need.

Perhpas, you never face a ā€œsale forceā€ that canā€™t connect to her mailbox when she absolutly need :grin:

Sorry, but I donā€™t understand very well what do you want to say.

@zamboni has totally right.

MX is a DNS record, usually made on an authoritative Name Server (primary). If you want a backup for MX you need an another NS (secondary). THE MX RECORD DONā€™T KEEP THE EMAILS! Only show where the email server (mta) is located!

If you want a backup for the mail server (mta), of course you will need an another email server (mta).

When Iā€™m wrong, I admit it.

And when Iā€™n not sure, I verify:

Perhaps Iā€™m not explain very wellā€¦Sorry.
When I talk multi-siteā€¦itā€™s two servers. One on each site to offer resilience.
Iā€™m talking about two mailservers.

Edit: and it can be multi-domain, one domain be a backup of the secondā€¦

1 Like