rh-PostgreSQL 9.4 is EOL

The software collection rh-postgresql94 reached is end of life since april 2018, no more security updates, now we should build rh-postgresql95 or rh-postgresql96 for our needs ( mattermost is the first rpm I have in mind)

The mattermost documentation states for requirement PostgreSQL 9.4+, we could try PostgreSQL 9.6.

cc @giacomo @davidep

5 Likes

as a side note, rh-postgresql10 is probably the best target

Hi @stephdl, I have checked and the only nethserver’s package that require PostgreSQL 9.4 is mattermost: https://github.com/search?q=org%3ANethServer+nethserver-postgresql94&type=Code

I will take a look for the best migration strategy.

2 Likes

I already forked postgresl10 on my repo, see the gh issue

After some research, I think that we can replace postgres 9.4 with postgres 10, with this pro points:

For the migration strategy, i have done some tests with a simple dump&restore procedure without find evident problems/errors.

2 Likes

Let’s try to go down this path.

Let me know if any help is needed.

We need to carefully plan the migration strategy and such migration should be done only when NS 7.7 will be released and rh-postrgresql will not be available.

On NS 7.7, each application using postgresql 9.4 should migrate to postgresql 10 via the dump&restore procedure as analyzed by @Amygos.
Also postgresql 10 probably will obsolete the 9.4 and use the same listening port.

For now, let’s keep the work done but do not release a new rpm which should be maintained even if not used. Just take note of this big TODO for NS 7.7.
I’m going to close the related issue.

1 Like

Why don’t plan to upgrade postgresql to 10 during 7.6? Maybe i’m wrong, but the big TODO could be eased from an 7.7 upgrade if it will be managed during 7.6
Also… 9.4 is already EOL. Therefore: keeping a software without support on 7.6, now available to subscribers and customers?

1 Like

I agree! If there’s a viable upgrade path, compatible with running applications (at least existing modules), let’s go with the upgrade during 7.6. There could be a lot of work to do from 7.7 upstream changes: I’d prefer to spread the effort during 7.6 lifecycle too.

Agreed. It’s the SCL philosophy, to provide a faster and bleeding-edge application release cycle. API stability is a trait of the upstream package instead.

@stephdl already prepared a postgresql 10 RPM and put it in nethserver-testing repo. Application maintainers can already check it out!

What is the target application list? On GitHub I found only mattermost… possible?

Webtop seems to rely on the upstream package: as such it is not affected by this change.

What does this mean please?

The package is still functional but it’s not safe to expose it on a port open to internet, but as the nethserver package configure it to be accessible only from localhost: we have no security impact unless someone has manually opened the port to everyone.
Scheduling a migration right now could lead to more problems than benefits.

Sorry I forgot the full name of the package: rh-postrgresql94.
It means that from CentOS 7.7 rh-postrgresql94 will not be available anymore and we will have to switch to postgres 10

Ah, thanks, I thought you were indicating that SCL itself wouldn’t be available anymore :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why not jump to version 11? It is available for a while.

probably because only the version 10 is available at the software collection
https://www.softwarecollections.org/en/scls/?search=postgresql

1 Like

Isn’t 10 the rhel8 version too?

2 Likes

Good enough reason :slight_smile:

@all Any news on implementing Postgresql 10 natively (non scl) on NS7. I encounter more applications that require 9.4 or higher.

Anybody else tested the Nethesever-postgresql10 from the testing repo?

TIA!

1 Like

As stated by MatterMost and reported by @giacomo

PostGRE 9.4 is EOL
Mattermost starting from 6.0 will deprecate PostGRE 9.4

So… which is the opinion of Dev team about the possible upgrade of PostGRE?

quote:

We should start planning a migration to Postgres 10, from the changelog:

1 Like

Waiting an official support, nethserver-rh-posgresql{10,12} are on my repo

1 Like