Question regarding DNS on member servers

Hey all,

Quick question regarding DNS on member servers joined to a Nethserver Samba AD domain.
How am I supposed to set up DNS the correct way in this scenario ?

I did the following atm, but it doesnt work for the Nethservers themselves…

192.168.0.1 | server1.mydomain.com : nethserver with samba ad role
192.168.0.2 | nsdc-server1.mydomain.com : samba container and thus actual ad server
192.168.0.3 |server2.mydomain.com : memberserver 

I configured DNS as follows:

192.168.0.1 has DNS server 8.8.8.8 in the Networking configuration's DNS settings
192.168.0.3 has DNS server 192.168.0.1 in the Networking configuration's DNS settings

A client with DNS server 192.168.0.1 configured can resolve all AD members.
This client can resolve manually configured DNS entries on 192.168.0.1’s DNS configuration page.

I can ping 192.168.0.1 from 192.168.0.3 and vise versa.

I can not nslookup nsdc-server1.mydomain.com from server2, without using server1 explicitly.
After joining the domain, this worked.

The logical guess would be that the records, created by joining the domain, have now expired, and have not been kept alive since. Is there a flaw in my setup ? Something I do not get about how the mechanism actually works ?

I think your setup is good! BTW server2 DNS config should work both as domain member and standalone server.

1 Like

Crap … it’s time for bed … I’m using names from environment 1 in environment 2 and am wondering why it isnt working … .sorry guys.

(They are very alike because some idiot decided to change domainnames mid-implementation)