PhoneHome UUID can be cloned

(Stéphane de Labrusse) #1

I saw that the phoneHome uuid is cloned by the VM with Proxmox (Should be right for any other virtual solution). I see no problem with that, except that if a company hosts several NS, you will have the same ping on the Phone Home map.

Do I’m wrong ?

(Giacomo Sanchietti) #2

Of course if you use cloned VM, the UUID will be cloned too since it’s saved inside the configuration db.
You can workaround the problem with these commands:

config delprop phone-home uuid
 signal-event nethserver-phonehome-update

(Stéphane de Labrusse) #3

An unique uuid can be found from plenty other ways, displayed in the dashboard if needed.

Sure that the statistics are false :slight_smile:

(Giacomo Sanchietti) #4

Of course, but you need to store it somewhere.
Cloning VM’s could always lead to the same problem, I guess the right way to go it’s write something for your provisioning tool like cloudinit.

(Stéphane de Labrusse) #5

without to go so far, you can retrieve it on the flight, I’m not sure to store it in a db is something usefull

(Giacomo Sanchietti) #6

It depends what are you looking for.
In your case the UUID is hadware specific, in the phone-home implementation it changes between installation.

Honestly I like your solution, is it available on every hardware?
Also I’m afraid that changing it right now would impact an all statistics, which are not perfect but should have a low margin of error.

(Stéphane de Labrusse) #7

Dmidecode looks after the bios uuid which is unique even on a virtual platform…should be workable on every arch