OMG - my first computer manual

Hi Forum

Today I solved a little Excel problem for a colleague using VBA. She asked me a how I learned programming … So I was thinking about a good manual to learn simple basic concepts like For-Next or If-Then-Else. I decided to look for the manual of my first computer - and I found it on the Internet:

This was my beginning 38 years ago - a TI 99/4A home computer, the C64 was too expensive for me.

What was your first computer?

Best regards
Thorsten

3 Likes

Comodore 128D - I still have it…

Edit: And a few additional C64 - Just for the museum :grinning:

3 Likes

A C64… and it’s long dead.
It’s virtual clone is still alive, as a VM… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The C64 was too expensive for my family; my first was a VIC-20. After that, an Apple //e.

2 Likes

Sinclair ZX81.
I still have it, the last time I switched it on, it quickly heated up a lot, so I immediately disconnected the power supply.
The manual was about the Basic language.

3 Likes

Hot Bit HB8000 :smiley:

2 Likes

Sinclair ZX Spectrum
16KB ROM 32KB RAM
Basic manual included
I’m here thanks to that :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

My first was a Commodore VIC-20 (VC-20 in Germany because of some weird associations with the word VIC :joy: )
The predecessor of the C64.
With a whopping 5KB memory.

5 Likes

my one was the HP28.
I loved the UPN

2 Likes

The BBC Micro.

Taught myself 6502 assembler.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Zx81 myself. Writing page of basic, saving it to a tape.

I am still young I think :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The C64 VM does not run on Proxmox, does it???

No, it runs on an old Windows, and that runs in Proxmox… :slight_smile:

https://www.c64games.de/phpseiten/emulatoren.php

But I see now there’s also an emulator for Raspberry… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Amiga 500 / 2000. Loved them! I remember my first Hard Drive. It cost $865 for 20MB - yes MB not GB

Klaus

2 Likes

Ha! I didn’t know/think about the name issue in DE :slight_smile:

The VIC-20 was an amazing machine. I bought one specifically for DXing long distance radio transmissions of teletype and morse code. There was a bit of software that would read the noise from the SW Radio, decode and type it out on screen. Ran that for years.

Klaus

1 Like

My First was a VC-20 with Datasette.
Learned programming in Basic.
Remember building an Acoustic-Koppler from old Headphones.
Next was a C64 with Floppy, a lot of games, easy to copy and exchange with school friends.
Finally first PC was a Commodore XT with two Floppys and a gigantic 10 MB external HD.
Memories are calling, will test my old C64 this weekend.

2 Likes

Oaw, this is really a trip to memory lane :slight_smile:

My first computer was a Spectrum ZX clone and had 48k and BASIC was already written in the memory, so it got me into the interpreter right after boot (there were other models where you needed to load BASIC from tape before doing anything)

Then when the ZX died, I got to a Commodore 64, and I was really blown away by the difference in power and possibilities.

Really good times and as Davide and others, I’m here today because of that :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Yes, we have a wording: vous n’êtes pas la par hasard

You are still searching to fix complex things that nobody will see ever the complexity because you have solved it.

This is how I define IT jobs

2 Likes

me too.
then, an Apple II plus.
After Apple launched Mac, I passed toIBM PC XT.

2 Likes

thats not so easy :wink: or easy by them self. First one was a ZX81 but that was a small “playbox” next was a CPM Z(= self building Computer than move over to a Ct86.

ct is a german computer magazin they start to buil a own “PC” with Eurocards (160*100mm²) with a real 8086 and 640kByte RAM with his own Monitor ROM so no BIOS. This maschine is in my cellar :wink: will b nice to rebuld it.

thx