NSDC DNS - Cannot re-create entry after deletion

NethServer Version: NethServer release 7.5.1804 (final)
Module: NSDC (DNS)

It seems I have an invisible DNS entry hiding out somewhere!

I am administering DNS from Windows RSAT. I had created a forward DNS (A record) entry for xyzServer with an IP Address of 10.x.y.z. I then deleted that entry. Attempting to recreate the entry with the same name and IP Address results in an error:

The host record xyzServer.internal.domain cannot be created.
The record already exists.

If I attempt nslookup of this already extant record my DNS connection to the NSDC times out and will not return until after a reboot.

I can create a record with a different name and the same IP. I can create a record with the same name and a different IP. Other new records can be created, deleted, recreated, kai ta hetera, et cetera, ad nauseam and at will. Just xyzServer with IP Address 10.x.y.z cannot be created.

I assume there’s something to be done from the terminal on the NSDC itself to resolve this, however; I haven’t been able to find what that might be. Any hints or helps are appreciated!

Is it a DC?

I don’t know exactly what to do in this case. To get a shell

systemd-run -M nsdc -t /bin/bash

Then run some commands to fix the Samba DB, like samba-tool (hi-level) or ldbmodify (low-level). As the problem is not reproducible for other records we can assume something has been corrupted in the Samba DB. Please refer to their wiki:

As alternative, if you have a configuration backup, you can restore it from the Backup (configuration) page. See also Backup — NethServer 7 Final

2 Likes

The server whose record has been corrupted is not a DC. No.

Agreed. I can run:

systemd-run -M nsdc -t /bin/bash

from an ssh session at the NethServer and get into the nsdc just fine. :slight_smile:
I’ll go over those docs, attempt to sort it out, and post back here with what I find one way or another.

Thank you!