NS8 LDAP instance as an external LDAP service (URI)

I have 3 domains based with LDAP as provider, however, when I go to the logs, I can see a ldapproxy(1) app NEXT to the ldap domains, but I can not find this ldapproxy(1) anywhere? ???

Is there any real, tangible use for this at the moment - on a VPS?
AFAIK, only the first LDAP or AD has any real use…

Or just for the kicks?

Curious?

My 2 cents
Andy

actually there is and could,

i have the same server, one domain is for employees and staff, another one, is say for my family, since i have a huge family, and do not want to spend extra maintaining extra srver, and the third one, i could be running a charitable organisation which has its users.

I should want all these users directory to be separate and different.

just my thoughts

Sorry @oneitonitram what you are saying just does NOT make sense.

My Question was specifically stated “at the moment”, not for any dream / fantasy / unrealistic use-cases.
And: This isn’t even a server, only a crappy VPS, and that is also specific for my question above.

But even your “fantasy” use case is so unrealistic:

Only one of the three will be able to use LDAP.
Others not, have no mail nor any services.
So a LDAP for no use.
And as no AD, none of the above will be able to use file sharing.

Maybe in 8.3 it may be possible, but for so few cases, it’s not worth hurrying!

NS8 will not have this feature, it’s not planned and it’s good so!
NS8.1? Who knows…

Second:

If you have a huge family, and a company with staff and employees (What’s the difference? one paid the other not?) AND running a charity organisation, there’s obviously a problem with budget here and organisation. 3 VMs, OK, but not on a single node!

Be real instead of being “bubbly”…
(Words like could, would, should… )

I still maintain, of those three LDAPs of @LayLow, two have absolutely NO use at the moment.

My 2 cents
Andy

and yet in their wisdom, its supported on ns8

What do you have against VPS Andy they cause no harm, and are pretty reliable. Servers on the other hand(the dedicated ones you like) management headache.

Why do you think so, you can run 3 Ldap on a single instance perefecntly fine, its AD that you can not.

Not everyone uses or has need for file sharing. Plus a really viable use case if you want to add AD to the use case.

A company can implement AD for file sharing and login to local computers, and implement Ldap for the purpse of authenticating to external tools in the cloud.

you asked a potential use case, i gave you one, so everything else doesn’t matter.

being lazy, budget conscious and whatever other use case. i can decide to multi tenant each ldap installation into a single node, and even if i have 20, what gives. you may say its a security risk, but hey, its also easy to backup and restore and maintain.

I did NOT ask for a “potential” use case. I asked for the concrete, current use case.

At the moment, you can have as many LDAPs as you want, but as only one is really accessible…

And illegal in Europe!
In Africa, it may not matter, but for others?

I asked my question of user LayLow, not you for your fantasy…
I do not think he is using three LDAPs.

and

Still a long way to go as programmer…

My 2 cents
Andy

Point of correction, i am a systems solutions architect, not a programmer and thus a software engineer there is a huge difference Andy

I do not intend to go O.T. just for the kicks.

systems solutions architect

a rose by any other name…

IMHO even worse, and longer to go.
But only my opinion and of no consequense.

But very far off topic!

Thanks.

My 2 cents
Andy

You too, FAQ - NethServer Community

Can I have my topic back please?

Thanks.

I beg to differ on this. I use NS8 exclusively for it’s authentication system. Granted, I have to play with the firewall on it a bit to make it all work, because the firewall is setup for cluster communications out of the box.

However, changing the firewall to suit install it commonplace in just about everything, so it makes sense NS8 requires the behavior as well.