No traffic shaping parameters on pppoe interfaces?

NethServer Version: NS7 RC3

Hi,

I can’t find any way to configure the up and down limits of my (red) pppoe connexion to my internet provider.

Can anyone help ?

Thanks

Matthieu

1 Like

Hi,
you should be able to set traffic shaping parameters when you configure a new red interface in Network page. When you select “Internet (red)” as role, traffic shaping text fields should appear in page.

[EDIT] you’re right it’s a bug: you can’t configure traffic shaping on PPPoE interfaces.

1 Like

The bug is reproducible and has been added to our todo list ( https://github.com/NethServer/dev/projects/2 )

By the way you should be able to do it by hand:

db networks setprop ppp0 FwInBandwidth xxx FwOutBandwidth yyy
db networks set myprovider provider interface ppp0 weight x
signal-event interface-update

Could you please try and report if it works?

2 Likes

Sure. Unfortunaltely it doesn’t look to work. Here is my configuration after having entered the following commands :

[root@mattlabs ~]# db networks setprop ppp0 FwInBandwidth 5000 FwOutBandwidth 5000 [root@mattlabs ~]# db networks set myprovider PROXIMUS interface ppp0 weight 10 [root@mattlabs ~]# signal-event interface-update

[root@mattlabs ~]# db networks show                                                                                                  
br0=bridge
    FwInBandwidth=
    FwOutBandwidth=
    bootproto=none
    gateway=
    ipaddr=10.0.1.200
    netmask=255.255.255.0
    role=green
enp0s25=ethernet
    bridge=br0
    role=bridged
enp2s1=ethernet
    FwInBandwidth=
    FwOutBandwidth=
    role=pppoe
myprovider=PROXIMUS
    interface=ppp0
    weight=10
ppp0=xdsl
    AuthType=auto
    FwInBandwidth=5000
    FwOutBandwidth=5000
    Password=*****************
    name=PPPoE
    provider=PROXIMUS
    role=red
    user=************@PROXIMUS
red1=provider
    interface=ppp0
    weight=1

Speedof.me still reports full speed internet. http://speedof.me/show.php?img=170102135409-1825.png

db networks set myprovider PROXIMUS interface ppp0 weight 10 is wrong, correct syntax is db networks set PROXIMUS provider interface ppp0 weight 10

also delete wrong entry with

db networks delete myprovider

1 Like

Are you sure ? I’m lost here. Looks like things are totally mixed up.

[root@mattlabs ~]# db networks show
PROXIMUS=provider
    interface=ppp0
    weight=10
br0=bridge
    FwInBandwidth=
    FwOutBandwidth=
    bootproto=none
    gateway=
    ipaddr=10.0.1.200
    netmask=255.255.255.0
    role=green
enp0s25=ethernet
    bridge=br0
    role=bridged
enp2s1=ethernet
    FwInBandwidth=
    FwOutBandwidth=
    role=pppoe
ppp0=xdsl
    AuthType=auto
    FwInBandwidth=5000
    FwOutBandwidth=5000
    Password=***********
    name=PPPoE
    provider=PROXIMUS
    role=red
    user=********@PROXIMUS
red1=provider
    interface=ppp0
    weight=1

I think you should also delete red1 provider

db networks delete red1

Still no luck. I noticed that the keys FwOutBandwidth and FwInBandwidth aren’t documented in the Traffic Shaping chapter in http://docs.nethserver.org/projects/nethserver-devel/en/latest/gateway.html?highlight=shaping#traffic-shaping :frowning:

Sorry for the waste of time :frowning:
We will work on it, stay tuned.

Stefano is already working on it.

I just opened a new issue, you can follow the progress here:

1 Like

We have now a package in nethserver-testing:

yum --enablerepo=nethserver-testing update nethserver-base-3.0.12-1.14.gdb1fb03.ns7.noarch

See also the test cases on https://github.com/NethServer/dev/issues/5187

Continuing the discussion from github (@pagaille):

Maybe is it my testing methodology, but while the UI looks working correctly, I can’t see any effective result

The configuration of inbound and outbound bandwidth doesn’t allow the traffic shaping to cap the network speed. The bandwidth is used to create a buffer used for traffic prioritization.

I suggest you to read the excellent documentation of Shorewall: Complex Traffic Shaping/Control

Then, you can go through out current implementation (Shorewall simple traffic shaping):Simple Traffic Shaping/Control

2 Likes

Thank you very much @giacomo ! It makes sense now. I guess that the idea is to prioritise traffic categories rather than limit others. I was used to the opposite way of doing it like they do on the ClearOS distro.

Exactly :wink:

AFAIK, upload bandwidth is capped precisely, download speed varies around the limit.