NextCloud - User Home

Hi there,

is there any option to integrate the /home/user directory within nextcloud ? Reading through the manuals it looks like I will have to give www the the right to access the respective structure.

Thank you
Thorsten

I don’t know if NextCloud allow WebDAV access… This could mount as /home for the users logged.

On the other side, sometimes /home keeps feeding with nasty and not useful things (browser cache, trash folder, temporary files…)

TRY IT IN A TEST ENVIRONMENT BEFORE

This is what I made on Nextcloud 13 and Nethserver NG 7.5.
Nethserver is configured as Local AD.

Enter as admin in Nextcloud:

Settings -> Integration LDAP / AD (on the left column) -> Expert (Above right) -> in the field “Internal user name (Attribute internal user name)” enter the following string (pay attention to the uppercase and lowercase that must be written just like this):

userPrincipalName

At this point, only all new users that will be created in Nethserver, when they are generated in Nextcloud will receive as UUID the name of the login (which also corresponds to the login, main email and home directory of the user).

Please make this change before creating users on Nethserver, preferably to newly installed servers and Nextcloud, otherwise there is a risk that you will encounter the problem reported below.

I activated the plugin “External Applications”, created a share in this way (all without " ):

Folder name: "homeuser" (is the name that is mapped in the list of folders in Nextcloud)
External storage: "SMB/CIFS" 
Authentication: "Login credentials, save in session" 
Host: "localhost" 
Share: "$user"
Domain: "MyNetBIOSDomainName".

If you want to modify all UUID of all existant users:

PAY ATTENTION THAT IN THIS MANNER YOU WILL LOSE ALL EXISTANT NEXTCLOUD USERS CONFIGURATION AND SHARES

Enter as admin in Nextcloud:

Settings -> Integration LDAP / AD (on the left column) -> Expert (Top right) -> click the two buttons “Delete association User name-User LDAP” and “Delete association Group name.LDAP group”

(click on blurred line to see the instructions, these instructions are blurred because are dangerous!)

PAY ATTENTION THAT IN THIS MANNER YOU WILL LOSE ALL EXISTANT NEXTCLOUD USERS CONFIGURATION AND SHARES

2 Likes

Yes it does:

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/11/user_manual/files/access_webdav.html?highlight=webdav

Perhaps this could help too:

Really interesting integration. Thanks for sharing, @saitobenkei
Anyway i do not reccomend to use a Network share as homedir/home folder for local system
Instead, automate the mount of this folder into a home subdirectory, and instruct user to save there files and data.

These are the shares generated by the creation of users from dashboards and already shared by Nethserver itself (You can already see them shared in Windows).

Hi there,

yes, following saitobenkei`s procedure, works perfekt for a fresh installed Nethserver environment - however CIF / SMB are very slow even on localhost.

Its Ok to read, but writing is not recommended. I wonder if this would possible for NFS shares? Maybe this would be a little faster?

Best regards
Thorsten