Nextcloud 20 error: incorrect encryption password

Just upgraded my production (subscription) server to 7.9, and ran into some trouble with Nextcloud. First, after the upgrade, when I browsed to the Nextcloud web UI, I was prompted to complete the upgrade:

I clicked the button, it completed without apparent error, and I was then able to log in. But now, I get a message at the top of every page (I can close it, but it comes back on the next page load) saying, ā€œInvalid private key for encryption app. Please update your private key password in your personal settings to recover access to your encrypted files.ā€:

So I go to my settings, under Security, and see this:

Well, thatā€™s a bit of a problemā€“my login password hasnā€™t changed. So I entered my password in both fields and clicked ā€œUpdateā€. Nothing happened.

So, off to Google, and I find this:

Following that guide (and adapting the occ command to Neth), I find this:

[root@neth ~]# sudo -u apache scl enable rh-php73 -- php -dmemory_limit=512M /usr/share/nextcloud/occ encryption:status
  - enabled: false
  - defaultModule: OC_DEFAULT_MODULE
[root@neth ~]# 

The next step in that guide is to enable encryption (occ encryption:enable), but when I did that, I borked Nextcloud (sadly, I didnā€™t save the error output). Disabling encryption (occ encryption:disable) produced the same error, as did any other occ command.

So I rolled back to the pre-upgrade snapshot I wisely took, and have repeated the steps above, prior to the occ encryption:enable. The message still appears in Nextcloud. Where to from here?

You manually pushed the upgrade? Why not let the subscription scripts do the hard work (and wait a few more days)?

Check this old issue:

1 Like

No, it notified me of the upgrade when I logged into the web GUI.

I think that had come up in my searching, but I didnā€™t pay much attention to an almost-three-year-old issueā€“surely the NC folks would have fixed it by now, right? Apparently not. :angry:

Edit: I only followed the first step there: occ encryption:disable-master-key. I didnā€™t enable the encryption module; thatā€™s what borked the system the first time. But Iā€™m now able to log on and not see that warning, so Iā€™m calling this solved.

But this was a Nextcloud notification, not a Neth notification?

No, it was a Neth notification.

Thatā€™s weird, since I am still on NC19 with my subscription serverā€¦

Hi all.
Well the Nethserver update for NextCloud last week caused the same problem again. I havenā€™t enabled encryption so Iā€™m going to try @danb35 's suggestion of occ encryption:disable-master-key and see if that fixes the annoying error message.

I encountered the same issue. Performed the occ command (I trust Danb35 :wink: ) and issue is gone. Thanks all.

Hi @LayLow .
Thank you for your comment. Yes, it looks like the issue is gone now.