New: Raspberry 4

https://www.sossolutions.nl/raspberry-pi/pi-4-model-b-board-setjes

1 Like

Well… at least the link for the official blog could be a bit more comprehensive…

IMO, this seems to be most interesting part…

Raspberry Pi 4 is built around BCM2711, a complete re-implementation of BCM283X on 28nm. The power savings delivered by the smaller process geometry have allowed us to replace Cortex-A53 with the much more powerful, out-of-order, Cortex-A72 core; this can execute more instructions per clock, yielding performance increases over Raspberry Pi 3B+ of between two and four times, depending on the benchmark.

Prior SoC were based on 40nm production.

2 Likes

All they now have to do is add a second network interface (which I thought there could have been a greater demand for than the dual monitor support).

Once they add a second network interface, it turns into a great possibility/selling point for things like routers and firewalls and NethServer installations.

Couldn’t you use a USB Ethernet adapter for that?

1 Like

Suppose you could do it that way, would mean an extra driver to potentially add and there is the risk of it being accidentally disconnected (I am all for risk reduction)

1 Like

IMO Raspberry is created as developer/consumer/curious markets product, not business one.
And also, arm boards powerful enough for competing x64 low consumption are not that much.

Ok, you want to use 6w PSU instead of 60, i can understand that, but in 6w multiple network devices, SoC, Flash disks… I don’t think that it will fit.

Consumer firewalls like Zyxel are using 12-18w PSU.

@pike

Hi

True, Raspberry PI was intended for the Education market as starters, but in the meantiime Raspberry has guaranteed the production for long term - because more and more people / companies have started using Raspberries as a replacement for so called Industry-Computers.

I am using Raspberry to comercially provide my customers with a reliable UPS capability, not paying for overpriced network boxes (eg APC SNMP) to tell several servers to shut down.

Besides which, APC is moving at high speed away from open source. Some newer models don’t give ANY info besides battery age, load, charge and voltage (Only one of Input / Output) - on the USB Output AND on SNMP. These boxes easily cost 800-1000 or more.

A Raspberry with a 16 GB SD card costs about 80.-. Runs perfectly NUT in Server Mode, and is very easy and quick to replicate / replace.

The power requirements are 5W, which is great if you have a small uncooled server room. No monitor or Keyboard is ever connected, the only connections are USB (UPS/Battery), LAN, Power!

I repeat: This is a commercial service - and works extremly well.

As a Bonus: The Raspberry runs my choice (Zabbix) of monitoring software natively - AND SNMP.
So monitoring with nice charts are a reality.

Synology / QNAP or other NAS or devices need a special User / Password? No problem! One size fit’s all (All clients using a Synology or QNAP for example), because those use the same hardcoded username/password.

My 2 cents.
Andy

1 Like

Hi Andy, thanks for your experience.
I was not thinking to that as a possible use of a Raspberry, but i think that any release could suit for that. And you are choosing it because you’re providing the “hardware assistance” contract just buying a bunch of spare Raspberry, new or refurbished with a SD card change or a spare PSU.
Maybe without this kind of board you were not thinking a business like that. You developed a solution, maybe not rugged enough as the SNMP cards from APC. :wink:

A friend customised a bit the box for create a “partner player” for vidwalls and Digital TV/Monitors. Not enough for syncing from a remote console but… it fits his use.

But a firewall or a server Raspberry-Based are still… not available. I mean… There are plenty of Mini ITX mainboards which are quite boosting the performance of the nice Raspberry, and with a comparable consumption (40-60w) if you compare also the CPU capabilities.

About NASA cracking with a Raspberry: some Italian newspapers point out the fact that it is a device that is mainly used to teach programming to children :thinking::thinking::thinking:

1 Like

@pike

Actually I find it more flexible and fairly “high availability” (read almost equal!) simply due to the fact that Raspberry runs a fairly standard OSS, with a full Open Source NUT Stack. And can be completly cloned and safe in a cupboard as a reserve, the cost is irrelevant.
All you need is a standardized clone of a prepared Raspbian. NUT, SSH, Zabbix & SNMP… That’s about it. Add in Nut-CGI, for those who want to (I also use that).

Bottom line: It’s set up faster than just registering the APC stuff… :slight_smile:

And: I don’t like supportind a company which has disdain for FOSS - we are all using NethServer here… :slight_smile:

My 2 cents!
Andy

Is there an image which I could use to install NethServer on a Raspberry Pi 4?

I would prefer the 64bit version as opposed to the 32bit version.

If there is, I can’t remember where it is located.

Today I got a Raspberry Pi 4 with 8GB of RAM… Can someone please give me a hint where I can find the latest Image?

Edit: Is someone using it in a production environment?

Hi @fausp,

You can get the RP4 iso here: https://github.com/NethServer/arm-dev/releases/tag/7.9.2009_RC2

I have used this in my home production with active SambaAD, VPN, mail and guacamole. They have done wonders and now have support for things like nextcloud and zabbix but I’ve found the NC to be pretty underwhelming with file transfer speeds

2 Likes

Hi @royceb

Found the final: 7.9.2009 Final

1 Like

Time for testing the Image… I would like to know how to put and which of the Image on the SD-Card?

Nethserver-7.9.2009-Devel-aarch64-img.raw.xz
Nethserver-7.9.2009-Final-RaspberryPi-img.raw.xz
Nethserver-7.9.2009-Final-Uboot-img.raw.xz

For my RP4 Kit I ordered off of Amazon I used the Nethserver-7.9.2009-Devel-aarch64-img.raw.xz image and the balenaEtcher utility from a Win 10 Pro 64bit machine.