New microblogging Mastodon

Oh i see now. Thank you for that. I suppose in the meantime, for those who want to run mastodon behind NS7 shall we just have to wait for the time being? Or should we play around with NS8?

As regards NS7, we could use something like Nginx proxy manager to redirect to Mastodon/NethServer or use Docker with macvlan so Mastodon has it’s own IP.
NS8 is the future and provides a modern proxy (traefik), so yes, we should play around with it.

1 Like

Hi all,

If someone is using Rocky Linux, as Stephdl, for NS-8, there is a example to install Mastodon:

How to Install Mastodon Social Network with Docker on Rocky Linux 9

Michel-André

2 Likes

Very detailed instructions, thanks–though it looks like it includes their own AWS credentials. Now to see if I can put it behind Caddy as a reverse proxy…

Hi all,

Might give some ideas !

How to Install Mastodon Social Network on Ubuntu 22.04

Michel-André

1 Like

Would it be possible to install Mastodon on the same server as Diaspora* using NS8? At the moment there is a Redis problem with that if I understood right…

Consider that ports 80 and 443 in NS8 are held by the reverse-proxy Traefik: a single node can run as many HTTP backend as wanted.

More in general, as long as two applications do not bind on the same public TCP port (e.g. bind 0.0.0.0 on port X) they can live on the same node. For instance, we can’t run two distinct SMTP servers on the same node if both of them want to bind with port 25…

Internal applications (e.g. Redis instances) that provide some service to other apps in the same server can bind with any custom port number on 127.0.0.1. And if that is not enough, they can run in a private network namespace…

TL;DR There are many strategies to run applications on the same system in NS8!

1 Like

No flaming or (political/social) war intended! Just indicating the possible role of independence .

It seems that Twitter now ‘forbids’ linking or referring to the ‘competition’

( Musk's Twitter says users can no longer link to Facebook or Instagram | Fortune )

Personal opinion about Mastodon, may be considered off topic; for transparency, post.news user, no part in twitter

The nature itself of the platform (decentralized and circle-controlled) might be an obstacle for Mastodon to become a challenger for twitter role.
The birdie has it’s own value not only because a lot of persons are already there, but also because is (was?) unique, centralized, with some mechanism and procedures for verifying the source/author of the data published, and was communicating if something went wrong (aka account hacked and something like that). That made for public personalities, politicians, companies (including professional sport societies) and journalists an effective and recognizable place for doing both one way and two way dialogs without involving other “more personal media” like phone, instant messaging and email. After Twitter gained traction, lots of press agencies were not involved in announcements, because some posts on twitter that can lead to media output from companies.

Without some organized control of sources and reliability (that can lead to controversies, but as twitter experience says, is quite unavoidable), no money making entities (starting from artists and ending with simple companies) can be interested in Mastodon: are they gonna question any admin of every instance for something wrong?

So, without blaming anyone who wants some sort of “own controlled birdie-like”, I doubt Mastodon gonna catch traction and “size” for become relevant enough and be considered a challenger for Twitter.
It’s still quite hard to see post.news become large enough to content to twitter the role in social media environment but at least the current basis are coherent enough with a challenger, even the situation currently is really fluid and the users are not that much.

1 Like