Nethserver-portainer needs testers AND ideas :D

@stephdl, I tried to install nethserver-docker recently and never succeed to log onto portainer; always got 500 server errors.

Decided it was really too cutting edge technology and preferred to go for a DO droplet and uninstalled the thing.

Now I get plenty of those messages :

Dec 16 20:37:51 mattlabs nmbd[30919]: [2018/12/16 20:37:51.755513,  0] ../source3/libsmb/nmblib.c:873(send_udp)                                                                                                                                                            │
Dec 16 20:37:51 mattlabs nmbd[30919]:  Packet send failed to 172.28.255.255(138) ERRNO=Operation not permitted                                                                                                                                                             │
Dec 16 20:37:51 mattlabs nmbd[30919]: [2018/12/16 20:37:51.755637,  0] ../source3/libsmb/nmblib.c:873(send_udp)                                                                                                                                                            │
Dec 16 20:37:51 mattlabs nmbd[30919]:  Packet send failed to 172.28.255.255(138) ERRNO=Operation not permitted                                                                                                                                                             │
Dec 16 20:38:10 mattlabs systemd: Starting Time & Date Service...                

Maybe there is something not handled when uninstalling.

Txs :slight_smile:

Bump next steps

4 Likes

Wow. That’s really a moving target nowadays…

Could be an idea for GSoC :thinking:

also this seems a good news:

Now we should try to use portainer with podman, a user interface is a good point too :slight_smile:

new try and new features on portainer, it rocks

3 Likes

NO idea what this all means, but sounds exciting! :slight_smile:

Let us know more!

Having read through this thread and this one, I’m a little confused, as it seems we’re discussing several different approaches to getting Docker working on Nethserver. I’d like to deploy a Bitwarden installation on one of my Neth boxes–what would be the best way to get the Docker environment working to do that?

1 Like

I’d like to experiment with podman :heart:

1 Like

So:

Podman -> Container -> Kubernetes :wink:

1 Like

Redhat loves podman

2 Likes

Sorry for bumping up but nethserver-docker/portainer isn’t available anymore from the repositories.

Is there a way to provide it again? Shall I upload it to nethforge? @stephdl @davidep

As far as I know we never release it, the source is at

Not sure it is stable enough

It was in nethforge-testing but isn’t anymore.
It’s working good here so I’d like to provide it again.

2 Likes

Do not know, we need maybe to merge the branch on master, build the rpm & push it to nethforge or create the travis build file, commit the comps github repository to allow to install it with the software center, find a dev who will provide love.

What do you think @davidep

1 Like

Side question: will be docker supported into NethServer 8?
IMVHO what Nethesis is trying to avoid is maintaining a package for which function RedHat is sponsoring another competitor…

When a rpm goes to the core, it is available for the nethserver enterprise version, this is important to understand that the code must be maintened, patched and also stable.

This is why there is considerations with a go sometimes, and a no go if the code is hard to maintain, bugged or if it is a hole in the security.

From my point of view, docker is massively used, but does it make it the best, Microsoft is the massively OS used, but it is not the best one.

Probably podman is the way to go, for a server it could replace kubernete because podman can start the docker at the good time (orchestration) and it is rootless. Docker use root to launch your container, your container is corrupted, it uses root to do a lot of bad things on your system

At the end, nethserver aims to be redhat/centos clone…a good reason more to stick on redhat solution

4 Likes

of course, they develop it :wink:
It’s like Canonical and Snap

how if you were running Zentyal at home while you work for Nethserver :stuck_out_tongue:

eat your own dog food qui disait.

3 Likes