NethServer NOT a replacement for SBS?

NethServer Version: 7.8.2003

I have spent a few months on and off investigating NethServer, installing it, getting a little familiar with it and reviewing posts on the subjects I am interested in.

What I want to do is to replace my old SBS 2011 controller with a modern server which will do the following:

Domain Controller
Mail Server
ActiveSync for IOS and remote Windows 10 laptops
File Server

My mail client MUST remain Outlook 2019 on Windows 2010 Enterprise and Pro PC’s.

I really like the look of NethServer, but I am getting strong signals from the posts that it will not do the job. I am reading things like:

1. ActiveSync in NethServer is a huge resource hog.
  2. Calendar syncing information varies but does not seem complete.
  3. Any time Outlook is mentioned people respond with… use something else.

I need to keep the desktop a Microsoft shop, lets not debate why.

What I would like to hear from the community is either yes it can do what you want but here are the steps you need to undertake or no Microsoft is still the best solution for you because NethServer cant do…

Any guidance would be very welcome.

Hi Graham,

read here please: NethServer as an alternative to the Windows Small Business Server

Regards…

Uwe

@corteq

Hello Graham

My last migration from a SBS (a VERY old 2003 SBS) was this February 2020, just before the lockdown.

My Client is an “Outlook Shop” - Active Sync isn’t that critical for my client, as 2003 Active Sync isn’t really usable for Android or iOS sync.

They’re now running NethServer on AD, it is also the main FileServer, Mail, NextCloud, Zabbix Monitoring.
We’re using Nextcloud with Outlook PlugIn for Calendar and Adressbook - iOS doesn’t need any thing and can connect from outside and inside (Wasn’t before possible with 2003 SBS). Android needs a CalDAV and CrdDAV connector (about 5.-$).

The clients are happy, the network (and storage for files) is MUCH faster!
And the whole thing is MUCH stabler than before!

The Firewall (labeled Router in the Network Map) is a High Availibility Sonicwall (actually 2), connected to two providers for redundancy.

And this is what it looks like:

The two “cloud” symbols at the bottom center are “Lab” networks…

Hope this helps you in deciding!

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

Thanks for that link. I had read it before and it has some comments from a couple of years ago that I hoped may have been addressed by now.

I remember SBS2003 very well. SBS2011 was a major step up and functioned very well until it became EOL.

ActiveSync is important for us, as is having an in-house solution. I appreciate your solution though.

@corteq

Hi Graham!

I have no problem with ActiveSync - but if not needed, why enforce it on clients?
Note: I have migrated quite a few clients with newer SBS versions. But a sooo old SBS as 2003 still running end of 2019 (16 years old?)…

I also have supported SBS 2011, I agree that worked very well. But MS decided to pull the carpet from the globally thousands of Integrators supporting clients with SBS - not very nice. And a lot of clients do not want cloud solutions, or are in a business where “cloud” is illegal! (Like financial stuff in Switzerland - must be done locally!).

Other solutions were needed…

I still have quite a few clients still using a MS Server (Mostly 2016 or 2019 nowadays), but these are all virtualized in Proxmox (as is the NethServer) and are Member Servers in NethServer’s AD!

I found my solution in NethServer, 5 years now, it’s never let me down!
I would also advise you to install NethServer virtually, with fast snapshots, live backups and even full HA (High Availability) gives a lot of peace of mind. Before a critical update, make a snapshot, and if it didn’t work, you’re still on the safe side!

See here for a few ideas…
https://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=userguide:nethserver_and_proxmox

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask!

Andy

1 Like

@corteq

Hi Graham

Another thing of interest:

On Win10, it’s quite easy to use eg. RSAT tools from Microsoft - if you want to implement roving profiles or other stuff!

I used this feature to migrate some windows 10 user profiles to newer PCs…

My 2 cents
Andy