Nethserver-arm image for RasperryPi and Uboot 7.9.2009-RC2

Thank you for testing, as said before it is much appreciated :+1:
(as a matter of fact, without other people testing and reporting issues the arm community effort would dieā€¦)

1 Like

Now if we could be allowed to crowdfund some development for the ARM stuff I would be stoked. The first thing personally Iā€™d pay for is the subscription feature to properly register my system in my.nethserver.com just so I could have everything in once place regardless if I could get official support for the end device.

To be frank: Nethserver/Nethesis is very supportive on the arm effortā€¦ There is some code accepted in the ā€œupstreamā€ x86_64 code-base just to make NS work on 32bit systems. :grinning:

They supply the infra-structure for the repositories including the ability to upload arm specific packages. Kudoā€™s to Nethesis and they deserve some money for it.

That being said; it will be an community effort which has it charms in the open-source / FOSS environment. For me personally the fact NS runs on restricted hardware is a testament to Nethserver itself.

3 Likes

Gucamole & SAMBA-AD also work for me.

3 Likes

Hope you see the effort you put into it is more worth then money :grinning:

Going to add you to the arm team!

EDIT: the big nut we have to crack is the SCL rh-php7xā€¦ this would bring us Nextcloud tooā€¦
Can work on that but not sure if it is maintainable for me. :thinking:

2 Likes

Are there things I can do to assist? Iā€™ve little to no experience programing but can offer what I can.

3 Likes

Oke , with this offer Iā€™m going start with it and ping you for helpā€¦

In the end of the day, If we pull it off we need to offer it / convince CentOS to help maintaining itā€¦ because they have build-systems / infrastructure we (I) donā€™t.

The demotivating part is the (by nethserver unused) SCL httpd24 (= a full apache SCL) has to be build first because it is a Buildrequirement for rh-php7x.

In other words it wonā€™t happen over night, as promised will start on it.

3 Likes

I was able to create a logical VLAN interface and successfully pass traffic between it.

2 Likes

Hi,
I had a succefull boot the Nethserver-7.9.2009-Final-Uboot-img.raw.xz on Kobol Helios 4 but this is only a minor start.
First I have to say that I had to flash the u-Boot on the SD whit a different command from was suggested, I used :
dd bs=512 seek=1 conv=fsync if=uboot/u-boot-spl.kwb of=/dev/sdX
Off course I run the command from the directory of the Helios 4 U-Boot.

Now the main problem, this nas board has 2 speed controlled fans but to work they ned a kernel patch how explained here:
https://wiki.kobol.io/helios4/pwm/#patch-requirement
I can try to patch the kernel myself starting from Centos arm but shell be better start from the Nethserver arm sources, are they available ?
Off course the best shall be to have the patch in the arm release :slight_smile:

Congratulations on a great job.

Carlo.

2 Likes

Hi @Carlo_c,
welcome to the communityā€¦

I think @mark_nl could help here.
cc @arm_team

Hi,
thanks for the wellcome, Iā€™ll wait for some infos.

Hi @Carlo_c

Nice to read NS did boot your Helios 4, never saw feedback it actualy worked on a Marvel Armada 388 based system. :+1:

NS is based-on / build-on CetnOS 7. We use the packages (including the kernel) from CentOS repositories, here a link to the (CentOS) kernel source packages:
https://vault.centos.org/altarch/7.9.2009/kernel/Source/SPackages/

The patch for the PWM fans of the Helios 4 never made it into the mainline kernel, it seems to be to specific for this device.

You may try to ask on the (CentOS) arm-dev maillist.

Looks like de Helios patch to the Marvell GPIO driver needs to be rebased on (LTS) kernel 5.4.x .

Meanwhile: are you familiar with (re)building RPMā€™s and patching?

2 Likes

Hi,
thanks for the info, well I patched e rebuilded in the past but the kernel could be hard :slight_smile:
Iā€™ll start from the CentOS mailing list, how you suggested.

Bye.

1 Like

Is there any tutorial to flash an image for the odroid u3 to an emmc/a sd-card?
I tried to follow the instructions at (Github-Nethserver-Arm-Dev-UBOOT), was able to flash a sd-card but none of my 2 odroid u3 will boot upā€¦ Any suggestions where ic was wrong?

export sdcard=ā€œ/dev/sdeā€
xzcat Nethserver-7.9.2009-Final-Uboot-img.raw.xz | sudo dd of=${sdcard} status=progress bs=4M && sudo sync
sudo mount ${sdcard}2 /mnt/test
sudo dd if=/mnt/test/usr/share/uboot/odroid/u-boot.bin of=${sdcard} bs=1024 seek=8 conv=fsync,notrunc

Welcome @Schnabeltierchen,

Unfortunately odroidā€™s usually need some proprietary binaries signed by Hardkernel (vendor) running before uboot to boot.

Do not have a odroid u3 but manged to run nethserver on a odriod HC1

For the U3 these binaries are here:

The sd_fusing.sh script provided by HardKernel normally takes care of flashing uboot and the special binaries to the sd-card

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply,
but since iĀ“m new to those SBC, iĀ“ve tried to figure out how this fuser script worksā€¦
Copying those 5 files into a folder, chmod +x sd_fusing.sh, and then running the script with the sd-card as the first parameter ./sd_fusing.sh /dev/sdX after iĀ“ve prepared the sd-card with the steps iĀ“ve listed above?

1 Like

Hi @Schnabeltierchen,

Looked op my old notes for my odroid HC1 (they are here but do not take them literately: it is an old write op getting CentOS running on a HC1)

I short:
first flash the nethserver imge to the sd card,
then flash uboot with the sd_fusing.sh script (you flash an fairly old uboot from by hardkernel but you can try to boot it with thisā€¦)

To use a newer uboot you may copy the uboot.bin form the SD-card to your working directory :

• rename hardkernels uboot first mv u-boot.bin.hardkernel u-boot.bin.hardkernel.org
  • and rename the copied uboot.bin so the script picks the newer procompled one one up mv u-boot.bin u-boot.bin.hardkernel

EDIT: from the write up this may be interesting

add / remove modules / drivers to creation of initramfs by dracut
sudo nano /mnt/etc/dracut.conf.d/odroid_hc1.conf
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

add_dracutmodules+=" dm "
omit_dracutmodules+=" network ifcfg plymouth "
add_drivers+=" exynosdrm exynos_bus exynos_trng exynos_nocp exynos_rng phy_exynos_dp_video "
add_drivers+=" phy_exynos_mipi_video dwc3_exynos clk_exynos_audss i2c_exynos5 dw_mmc_exynos "
add_drivers+=" dw_mmc_pltfm dw_mmc phy_exynos_usb2 phy_exynos5_usbdrd pwm_samsung "
add_drivers+=" dwc3 ledtrig-heartbeat "

Create new initramfs with specific drivers:
 sudo chroot /mnt
dracut -v -f /boot/initramfs-4.18.16-200.el7.armv7hl.img 4.18.16-200.el7.armv7hl
4 Likes