Nethserver 7.9 - Total Rollback to specified date

NethServer Version: 7.9
Module: Backup

Hi,

I have a behaviour I can’t explain to myself.

I’ve lost some data from a mail account, I installed “Restore Data” module but it doesn’t recognize any backup prior installation of the module.

So I decided to do a full rollback on a staging host, but I can not select a specified date

I normal behaviour or I’m missing something?

Simone

Hi Simone,

Please do not ask me why, it is expected behavior:

Restore data application must be explicitly installed from the Software Center. Please note that selective restore will be available only for backups executed after the application installation.

https://docs.nethserver.org/en/v7/backup.html#selective-restore-of-files

Hope you find a way around this by other means.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.

Now I’m sure I did nothing wrong.

But what about full restore from the standard backup? What’s the meaning to do a 14 days retetion backups if I can not select a date for a full roll-back?

Simone

Hi @SimoneL

Maybe start by stating which Backup system you’re using?

There are 3 options…

And… it seems obvious, but this seems like a old-style “native” install on hardware - no virtualization…
So no snapshots or VM backups to save your a…

The staging host is identical (hardware)?

My 2 cents
Andy

You can still restore the last working backup, I don’t see ANY issue.

You were not bothered by the missing option so far, never checked your backups, let alone TEST ONE !!!

But you still need to tell the old server where to find the backup information to restore it.

And in this area, you’re not very informative at all.

My 2 cents
Andy

It’s and Hardware installation, no VM. With a duplicity incremental backup with a 14 days retentionon a NAS.
I tested the resotre routine the next day I installed the machine

In this specific case last working backup was restored fine, but what I would like to restore is a roll-back from 5 days ago.

When I select Restore in the Backup-Data menù, I can only choose the duplicity backup I configured, with any option to select 1, 2, 3 or more days before.

Sorry if u felt offended by my considerations, still it bugs me why I have an option to do an incremental backup with no option to choose which to restore.

Simone

With any?

or

with NO ?

2nd question:

Duplicity to a NAS storage - or using a USB disk?

If USB, the disk must not be mounted on the restore target, the process should take care of that.
AFAIK, it fails if you manually mount the USB.

Why am I offering this info about USB?
You said Duplicity, so it is obvious that any sane person would use a NAS, not a USB Disk powered by the same Server it’s backing up.

Then again, you’re not providing much info, anything further needs to be asked twice so I have to guess stuff…

How did you test the restore of the machine the next day if you only now installed the “Restore Data” module?

More unclarity…

You are aware that the option to restore an older backup only exists AFTER you’ve installed “Restore Data” on the machine you are backing up?
I’m not talking about the “staging host” you’re “testing”, I’m talking about the machine which has a lost mail issue!

I’m trying to verify if you have a working, tested backup on that very machine, but I’m not getting any real answers.
If there are language issues, maybe try using Deepl… They generally do a comprenhesive translation.

My 2 cents
Andy

Had to search deep for this…
… and it is so simple…

Go to Applications > Restore data > settings : (if not available install the module in the software center)

I think you’ll find what you are looking for there

Opes , you all ready tried this and is showed no data before installing the module…(Sorry :astonished:)

EDIT:

To restore an older catalog from the backup to the local metadata you may run in the console as root:

/etc/backup-data.hooks/backup-list-files <backup-name> 1 0 $(date +%s -d '20240123')

change the to your backup name and date to your wishes

Source:

2 Likes

Thanks man, thats what I was looking for.

Im gonna try that asap on a staging machine, so I can try to restore old missing mails via IMAP on the production machine.

Simone L