NethServer 7.9 Released (Roasted Chestnut Edition)

We’re happy to announce that NethServer 7.9 is publicly available.

What’s new?

This release marks a big step forward for communication, collaboration and security, introducing:

• CentOS 7.9
  • NethGui is dead. Welcome Cockpit!
  • Some web applications are still available on port 980
  • Security improvements
  • Threat shield: DNS blacklist
  • Netdata is now installed by default
  • New panel to sync your email via IMAP

About NethServer

NethServer is an Open Source operating system designed for small offices, medium enterprises and home server. It’s simple, secure and flexible.

NethServer is ready to deliver your messages, to protect your network with the built-in firewall, share your files and much more, everything on one system.

Release highlights

Many new features were added since the last NethServer ISO was released, they are all available within NethServer 7.9 based. Let’s see the most important improvements.

NethGUI is dead. Welcome Cockpit

The old Server Manager (namely Nethgui) is not available by default on new installations. To configure the system access the new Server Manager on port 9090 . Old Server Manager can be still installed from Software Center.

Web applications are still on port 980

CGP (Collectd Graph Panel), EveBox, Rspamd UI, Lightsquid and Ntopng are still available on HTTPS port 980, even if the old Server Manager has not been installed.

Security improvements

• On new installations, SSH weak ciphers are now disabled by default.
  • Default TLS policy is 2020-05-10 . TLS 1.1, TLS 1.0, SSL v3, and SSL v2 are disabled.

Threat shield: DNS blacklist

Threat Shield already protects your NethServer by blocking all connections from/towards malicious IP addresses. Now on you can add an extra layer of protection by blocking DNS requests to malicious domains. More info here

Netdata is now installed by default

Cockpit uses netdata to show some graphs on various dashboards:

• web proxy (squid)
  • email server (postfix)
  • firewall (network, qos, conntrack)

New panel to sync your email via IMAP

New panel to simplify the migration of email from your existing mailserver to nethserver. The module is based on the command line tool imapsync and made it even easier.

Disable SIP-ALG to enhance SIP call through the firewall

In some situations you could have several issues with Shorewall and the protocol SIP&H323
Now you can disable SIP-ALG via WebUI

NtopNG 4.2

New cockpit settings page and dashboard

Last versions of our applications

• Nextcloud 20.0.1
  • Rspamd-2.5
  • Asterisk to 13.37.1

Nextcloud updates

• New installations of Nextcloud honor the StartTLS setting of the Active Directory accounts provider.

Other improvements

• On new installations, users belonging to the wheel group are now granted SSH and SFTP access.
  • Mattermost DB was upgraded to PostgreSQL 12.
  • DAHDI tools and kernel module are no longer installed by default as part of nethserver-freepbx package.

New or updated Community Modules

A very long list since the last release. Big thanks to @stephdl and @mrmarkuz

Download and install

Who wouldn’t desire all these fantastic new features?

• You can install NethServer on a virtual machine or on a bare-metal server using a DVD or USB stick
  • Upgrade from 7.x is supported through the Software Center starting from 2020-12-02
  • Automatic upgrades to 7.9 for #subscription start from 2020-12-09

Ready to check it out? Then head to the docs and download

https://www.nethserver.org/getting-started-with-nethserver/ :point_left: :point_left:

Subscription

Get exclusive access to the Stable Updates repository, monitoring tools and immediate professional support services for your NethServer deployments

:point_down: :point_down: Take a look at our plans
https://my.nethserver.com/

Documentation

Did you find a bug? Please report it here – every bug you uncover is a chance to improve the experience for thousands of NethServer users worldwide, also our amazing beta testers team will be called upon to give its support on that!

Thank You

A huge thanks to the community, we quite literally could not do this without your support , and we’re proud to give our open source code back to the world with your help.

20 Likes

Congrats on the new release and thank you for your continued advancement and focus on bringing us up to date products with a focus on security.

I am still hoping Nethserver adds 2fa to https://my.nethserver.com.

3 Likes

Did anyone updated a Zabbix-containing installation?

Well… now I did. Seems running.

1 Like

Is it possible to downgrade this Release back to 7.8 with yum history rollback?
I’ve got this problem with Nextcloud , downgrading (and starting a new Try) could be the easiest Solution

I had an automatic update for my subscription server last night and all went smooth. NC Hub is updated from 19.x to 20.0.2.
SOGo is still on 4.0.8 Maybe I should update that one manually? @stephdl
Backup going strong, so little complaints from my part with this update.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: SOGo still on 4.0.8 after update to NS 7.9

This version is the best.

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: NethServer Upgrade From Command Line

Updatet today a subscription server without issue. After that I updatet SOGo to vers 5 also without problems.

Thank you all for this great and stable software!!

Hopefully you will find a good solution for this mess about RHEL and CentOs!

Stay healthy!

6 Likes

Congratulation to the NS Team for the new 7.9 version :bangbang:

I wanted to upgrade today from 7.8.2003 using Cockpit and got an error during software-repos-upgrade event. So I tried using the “old” Nethgui to upgrade and everything went perfect.

I’ll add some comments/hints about Cockpit here, even if it is probably the wrong place to post it:

1. Terminal does not work. Only white screen with Terminal in upper left corner whereas it is working using Nethgui. That doesn’t care me since I’m working with Eclipse using the Remote System Explorer :slight_smile:

2. Applications -> Nextcloud Version 1.6.1 is shown in the list. Using the Settings Button Version 20.0.4.0 is shown.

3. When I want to create a new Virtual Host in Applications -> Web server, cockpit generates a random name for it whereas Nethgui allows me to define the name I like e.g. products that is then created in /var/lib/nethserver/vhost/products. Any reasons why Cockpit uses random names.

So for me is Nethgui still better in some places, obviously not the GUI compared to Cockpit

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback!

Would you please share the error message in a new thread?

The modules NethServer provides have a different versioning than the software they provide. When something is fixed for the Neth module the version is raised so it’s not possible to have the same version as the software.

For security reasons. A random name is harder to guess.

I think it’s because we are used to it.
I recommend to get used to cockpit and use the old UI as fallback.
New features will be implemented in Cockpit.

1 Like
  • Where is the right place for such error messages?

• Understood, NethServer module version isn’t equal product version e.g. Nextcloud

• OK, I assumed that random names are for security reasons. BUT, couldn’t there be an option in Cockpit to have readable names for virtual host as a fall back solution so to say. I’m working at the moment only with virtuall hosts that are WordPress sites (private and globally accessible) on my local network using Eclipse as already mentioned or SFTP. And readable names makes life definitely much easier :slightly_smiling_face:

• Yes, I’m using already Cockpit as my default front end AND I like it :smiley: and Nethgui as fallback solution.

Just open a new support topic.

I think this is a Feature request, let’s ask @stephdl if it’s possible and makes sense.

You’re not alone:

Honestly I decided to make the first dns name as the key of the vhost esmith database, but during the development phase we made a random ID and this ID is used to make the folder path.

To try to fix this we made a widget in the vhost list to find the web root folder

cc @devteam

3 Likes

How big is the update? I only have about 30gb left on my root partition.

@soscc

Hi

Depends on what modules you have installed, but I think 30 GB should be enough for an update…
Be sure to make a backup!

Good Luck!

My 2 cents
Andy

I hope so. The backup says it completes successfully every day.

Thanks.

1 Like

@soscc

Good Upgrade!

If using Nextcloud, be aware that NC takes time, to update Apps, often a manual “nudge” is needed.
App Themes is deactivated, but can be activated without probs!

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

Oops, I just did a last check and it’s only 18gb on the root. I’m using the server for web, mail and firewall. Do you think I’ll still be OK to do the upgrade?

Once I figure out where it all lives, I probably do symlink of the mail repository to the home partition like i did with the web server content and that will probably free up a bunch of space.