Nethserver 7.4 install problems

NethServer Version: your_version
Module: your_module

So I thought I would install a test server today and have a look at Nethserver.
However I have hit a problem or two!
The first PC with an Athlon quad core 2800 would boot from the install media but I had two problems;
1, network reported as disconnected when it isn’t (checked with a windows install)
2, once I went through the options and selected begin install it crashed with an error. I will try and re-run and attempt to collect the error report.

So I thought I would attempt an install with an AMD APU with a msi board. With bios set to legacy or UEFI during the boot from DVD it reboots, and will do it all day, boot-reset-boot!

So I am stumped! I have only really used Debian/Ubuntu till now.

Is there some hardware that you guys can recommend that will run Nethserver OK?

Many thanks.

you can use (and you really should only use) all RHEL7/Centos7 certified hw

BTW, we can’t be really helpful if you don’t give us some elements (logs ecc)

You could also try to install CentOS Server first and then the nethserver package.

2 Likes

Here is the doc: Installation — NethServer 7 Final :+1:

4 Likes

Thanks for the updates guys. I have had to get on other IT tasks this week, however I will come backto this at the weekend. I didn’t realize centOS was so fussy about hardware, until recently I have always used either Debian or Ubuntu which will run on almost any hardware.

One criticism; I recall last month I did try Nethserver on a Fujitsu TX1310 server and found upon install that I had the same issue I had with the Athlon system- Namely no network. It installed on the TX1310 however the drivers for the network card weren’t installed and on reading up it appeared they had to be installed separately. Unfortunately i was tight on time (as usual!) so I binned the install and put Zenyal community on instead which recognized both adapters and has worked fine except for the security updates issue. from what I read this is a centos issue. My question is why wouldn’t the card driver included with the base install?

It should be OS-standard, so I think included. Found at an official document of Fujitsu:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwiBxfXKm8bZAhUFLlAKHUDgCDYQFggqMAA&url=ftp%3A%2F%2Fftp.ts.fujitsu.com%2Fcommunity-linux%2Fcentos%2FTR-PY-TX1310-M1-CentOS.pdf&usg=AOvVaw16x0Kicx1HCel54dxYEcxL

I don’t think it’s about CentOS pickiness about hardware.
Support from hardware vendors is good for RHEL/CentOS.
If you ask Fujitsu, they can help you.

Maybe you hit a bug in the installer, we had similar reports in the past.
Usually, we try to find the source of the problem with some trials.
Test #1 is using the standard centos installer (it’s available in nethserver boot menu).
Test #2 is using the Unattended NethServer install.
If both work correctly, it must be a problem with NethServer Manual install.
If none work it’s probably an upstream bug (centos/rhel).

2 Likes

Quick update guys, and many thanks for your help and pointers.

I have to confess I didn’t read the install failure log on my Athlon PC. I have now and it installed easy no problems. The Issue was I hadn’t made a /boot partition and had only created a / and swap with ext4 and LUKs. I forgoten you can’t boot from a LUKs partition.

Also got the network card working too.

I can begin getting to grips with it.

2 Likes

Please tell us how did you solve the problem with your network card.
I think best way is to edit your last post and after that you can mark it as solution.