NethServer 6.6 rc1 released

NethServer 6.6 RC1 has been released and is publicly available.

ISO direct download (455MB)

SHA1 9fe6e4355004df52881b833268b752915c86d282
MD5 f3be947e6403bdc636d39a281ca5a73d
torrent 693DBD1622B7AD4F0E2F79572AE87E3A2A3846B7

Highlights

Since 6.6 Beta1 release:

• root and admin users passwords are no longer synchronized
  • Delta RPMs from CentOS mirrors
  • Dashboard Disk Analyzer
  • Updates from Software center page
  • Revised ISO installer

Read carefully the Release notes, what has been changed and instructions about how to upgrade from the previous 6.5.

As usual, a new installation can begin from

• ISO, by erasing any existing data on the hard disk (!)
  • network, on a previously installed CentOS 6.6 minimal

Starting from 6.6 release, NethServer installations contact CentOS mirrors directly to retrieve upstream updates. NethServer specific packages are served by mirror.netheserver.org and other NethServer mirrors.

How to help and get help

If you find a defect, for any question or suggestion, signup our community and reply below, you are welcome!

5 Likes

Uhh good job BRO! :smile:
Kudos for us!

1 Like

I like the picture

chears,
horace

The admin user name is available only if nethserver-directory RPM is installed. For backward compatibility it has still full privileges through Server Manager.

When nethserver-directory is installed admin is automatically created, as in the past, but its Unix password is not copied from root any more.

I can read this in the changelog of 6.6, as admin is used in nethserver-phpmyadmin, how can you set a new password for the admin user???

Go to Users and select Change password on admin user. The system will also remind you to do that on the dashboard with a yellow message:

1 Like

That means if you don’t set the password, you can’t use phpmyadmin. Do I need to use the root user as database administrator (does root is registred in ldap), or ask in the documentation that the password must be set.

By the way, why have you separated the two users ?

thank you Davide. I download Nethserver 6.6 rc1 immediately and i will give a feedback as soon as possible…

Good point, the question could also be “why two users”? I think the main reason is the LDAP-based user backend is not present in the initial system: a firewall would not require it, whilst a mail server would.

The admin account comes with LDAP and by convention it is granted special privileges on configured services. For instance, it can join workstations in a Samba domain.

What I do on my systems is

• enable SSH public key authentication (I hope we’ll add a pubkey management UI, too)
  • access the Server Manager from admin, if it is present (and has a strong password)
  • keep the strong root’s password in a secure place and never use it, if possible
3 Likes

root’s password could work, though I’d prefer admin’s one to keep the system consistent.

1 Like

Guys, disk usage plugin works great, good work!
This time I’ve tried a soft-raid1 config with vmware player with two usb disks, that was a nice feature to ask if I want raid wile install running.
After the system was ready, I’ve simulated a hw fail on the first drive (plugged it out :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), nethserver was fine after that, also after reboot, so it meets the expected result. :wink:

Hi all!

I downloaded and install this new version over the former 6.5. I did a fresh install, not an upgrade. I think all of you have done a very good job, but I also think there might be some space for improvement.

When I installed the OS I didn’t get a warning about a former installation being erased. Of course I know there is a manual way to perform the update, but I think it would be better to detect the former Nethserver installation and inform the user about it.

Some other thing that could be improved is the Backup module. If the user forgets to set it up and trys to perform a backup (from the Web) they didn’t get any error message, instead they receive an OK message. That could easily confuse the less experienced users.

Regards.

1 Like

I briefly looked at a way to check for previous versions, but I couldn’t make anaconda (the centos installer) detect NethServer 6.5.
Maybe, a patch is needed. Do you think this is a show-stopper for 6.6?

That’s would be better if you have a detection, but you have a warning about your data will be formatted, That’s right the warning is a bit loss with other informations, but it is existing.

The behaviour of automatically formatting HD is inherited from SME Server and a lot of users were/are caught by the loss of their data.

NethServer review on Softpedia :v:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/CentOS-based-NethServer-Distro-Now-Supports-Delta-RPMs-from-CentOS-Mirrors-475217.shtml

1 Like

Just finished installing it, running modules installations now.

I want to see my country on the map now. :wink:

1 Like

I moved 2 posts to an existing topic: Clamav-db download problem

Hi!

Well, I don’t think is something critical. If it could be fixed easily that would be great, but if that’s not the case is OK too.

I can’t see Uruguay on the may yet! Are you sure To have activated it? :wink: I really want south america red on that map!!

I have it on a virtual machine at home, i turn it on when i get home to play whit it :smiley:

I’ve forgot to set phone home.

now i just did on my test machine at office, with that and phone-home script run you’ll be able to see it?

1 Like