Need to share on the defunct admin User

Caution! getent calls would not work before nethserver-sssd-save event!

1 Like

Sorry but 
I couldn’t resist! :blush:

This is my idea:

https://github.com/NethServer/nethserver-directory/compare/master...DavidePrincipi:admin

(TODO: don’t know how to set executable permissions on GitHub web interface)

1 Like

Opened issue

1 Like

Let’s think about the admin user name for a while. What should be the default value we put in the config DB?

Candidates are:

• administrator, the default in the Microsoft world
  • admin, the default in ns6 and many other software projects out there

Initially I was thinking about the first, to keep things consistent between AD and LDAP providers. I was talking about this with @filippo_carletti, @giacomo and @nrauso and came to the following conclusion:

well, maybe @stephdl is laughing at me but
 I prefer admin. At the end of the day, let’s get it back!

If we go with admin, we should create it in our Samba Active Directory when the domain is configured the first time. This can be done automatically. Also (as @nrauso suggests) the default administrator AD account could be disabled, as happens in the latest Windows versions.

For an existing Active Directory where we cannot write, as for any other LDAP DB where we don’t have write access, the last resort is a manual procedure, like:

config setprop admins user SOMEUSER group SOMEGROUP
signal-event ...

For the last scenario, our LDAP configuration in nethserver-directory, the admin user and administrators group can be created automatically.

In any case, the default admin user and group is created only on brand new installations. Existing account databases are never touched!

3 Likes

:))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

1 Like

That happens when developers don’t live in Ivory towers! :european_castle:

https://blog.codinghorror.com/ivory-tower-development/

1 Like

Seuls les idiots ne changent pas d’avis
only idiots don’t change their mind.

NS7 is still in RC and not so much installed, it is still time to add/change things
 @davidep merci

2 Likes

It has been a long journey: since March a lot of things has been developed. As it often happens, the initial assumptions must be considered again and again. Now we are approaching real-world issues. I’m sure this is not the last thing we’re facing!

Thank you @stephdl for you inputs!

This is a further UI enhancement:

2 Likes