Move Var location

Hi folks, first post.

Moved a homeserver over from clearos. Been a clearos user for some time but not liking the way its going.

Just installed latest version but not at server right now for version sorry.

Simple question i hope.

Installed with 2x raid 1 arrays. One for /home and one for /var.

In retrospect i would have rather just mapped /ibay on the raid 1 not the whole /var

I realise i could just reinstall but its a long process, is there a way to do it easily via ssh.

I was never the best and im very rusty!

If so could i please request a breakdown of process/command please? :slight_smile:

Rest of structure is on a 120gb samsung ssd for boot etc, looking th have it back to default location.

not really used on NS, /var makes more sense

the /etc/fstab is the place where you mount at the boot a partition under linux

Been used to clearos too long, does nethserver change users personal folders from the usual convention?

Got 4 drives, might as well use em, suggestions other than ibay on raid 10? :slight_smile:

/var/lib/nethserver/home is the real home AFAIK

In general we store a lot of stuffs in /var/lib/nethserver

I would use proxmox in first and use Nethserver as a VM, else yes mount the whole /var to your 4 disks array. However a SSD to boot a server, I am not sure, my uptime is really long, I rarely never restart my server.

[root@web ~]# uptime
 16:06:12 up 203 days, 15:16,  1 user,  load average: 0.55, 0.73, 0.85
1 Like

Ah, i see.

My old setup was the equivalent of var (flexshare) and the home folders on raid with a spindown timer for saving the drives/power. Idea being system ran but drives only spun up on activity.

Looking do do similar again if possible.

Out of touch ill look at proxmox, using server as gateway multiple nics including pppoe wan to router, always thought gateway and firewall wasnt wise in a virtual environment, but im out of touch perhaps?

Prefer to keep it as simple as possible for home :slight_smile:

firewall are now on virtual instance :smiley:

You could use nethserver with a bare server, but you cannot revert a change, you cannot grow your hard drive like this, you have one instance to run all your services, you cannot help the development by using nethserver VM to test the code.

I saw a lot of rooms for proxmox.

@Mindriot

Hi Duncan

Here’s an example of what Stephane is talking about:

This is a friends home server, running on Proxmox. The hardware is a HP Proliant Microserver Gen8. 2 Mirrored 2 TB disks in RAID1. 16 GB RAM.

Everything except for a Backup NAS is running virtual in Proxmox.
NethServer, OPNsense Firewall and a Windows “Admin” PC for RDP access.

If Proxmox needs a reboot (Plenty of updates, but reboot only maybe once a year!), the system is online and accessable with VPN in around 5 minutes…

This runs extremly stable.

For my commercial clients, I do use a seperate Hardware Firewall (Also OPNsense), but here, where space and budget are restrained…

My 2 cents
Andy