Local and External mail Server

Hi dear Team
i wish to know if my Nethserver installation can send mail localy and externally using the domain that is already exist. My goals is to allow my client to communicate locally event when Internet Connexion is down…
Regards

@jnwatchock

Hi

And Welcome to the NethServer Community!

I have about 25-30 clients using NethServer, most use the NethServer as Mailserver, internally and externally. If Internet is not working, mails with an “outside destination” stay in the queue and get sent as soon as Internet is back working. Depending on the outage time, this can take a bit of time. As Admin, you can click in the queue, and tell the server “Try now to send all in the queue”.

Internally, mails work, no matter if you have Internet or not.

Hope that helps!
Andy

Thank you for your answer my dear Andy

This is my first client on Nethserver, i use to propose sme server to my client.
I will trye and i will share with you. the first thing i have noticed is that i have to be connected to Internet before configuring Active Directory.

@jnwatchock

Hi

You CAN configure an AD without Internet, I’ve done that often.
If you need any help / tips / whatever, don’t hesitate to drop a line.

I used SME for several years, but there was too much bickering in the community there, so I never really helped / contributed! Here, I like the community (The best in OpenSource i’ve seen in 35 years), and I like a lot of the people here, who are engaged with helping others!

Next thing to sell for your client: Zabbix! A really top monitoring system!
Every car has a speedometer, gas guage, temperatur of the motor.
Our IT should be monitored ten times better! Make it happen with Zabbix on NethServer!

My 2 cents
Andy

Thank for this information to know that it is possible to configure AD without Internet Connection. I have try this several time but unfortunetly, but once i connect to Internet it was possible.
Thank Andy for your help, i will need it to insure my first client, and i also want to be the first Nethserver Integrator in Africa

@jnwatchock

Good Luck!

BTW our user oneitonitram (Martin) is already quite active in Kenia, maybe a contact would be a good idea…

Andy

1 Like

Hi dear Andy. Here attached some errors during the configuration of my Nethserver.
The domain 7nitco.com is my real domain that already exist. Is this can cause conflits

(Attachment SETTING MY VIRTUAL NETHSERVER.docx is missing)

Might the issue have been that you can’t initially set it up without Internet? Because you’d need an Internet connection to download the necessary packages, right?

1 Like

excuse me Andy That’s is to say i need Internet first to download package before configuring AD

@jnwatchock

Hi

Yes, you need all packages (also all updates is a good idea!). Sry, i forgot that as I’ve never set up NethServer without Internet…

Andy

Hi dear Team
I am having this error after configuring AD:
“Task completed with errors
S96nethserver-dc-join #25 (exit status 256)
Adjust service sssd #76 (exit status 1)
failed”

@jnwatchock

Hi

Better carry on here, in english. This way anyone else with the same / similiar problem can benefit! :slight_smile:

Make sure your NICs are connected correctly:

RED is connected to Internet (router, cable modem, whatever).
GREEN is connected to your local LAN.

Then try again with AD. Maybe a reboot can/will help, I’ve had similiar errors depending after some update.

Andy

@jnwatchock

Hi

Having 2 GREEN Interfaces WILL cause problems.
If using virtualbox, configure only ONE Interface.
Virtualbox can provide a “virtual router/firewall”.

Andy