Is it possible to put storage drive in different pc and make it work?

I am trying to migrate my nethserver with configurations data everything coming with it to a new server is it possible to just place the storage drive in the new server and turn it on and make it work? I dont know if this will affect any data so i asked first before i go try it out

Yes it is.

You’ll need to do the following 2 things on the new server:

1. Update the /etc/fstab file in the new server to mount the storage drive in the correct location.
  2. Update the file permissions for all of the files on the storage drive using the chown command.

Both are easy action items; the first is quick to do, the second may take a bit of time, depending on the number of files and the complexity of your file permission structure.

I thing I would strongly recommend before starting is that you do a full backup of the storage drive before you take it out of the old server.

Another small thing: Depending on NIC on the newer hardware you might have to reset the correct IP.
The option should be displayed on screen… :slight_smile:

How do i know what the right location is to mount the storage of the drives

It may be mounted to /var/lib/nethserver/ibay/

To be 100% certain, I would recommend checking the /etc/fstab file on the old server to confirm the various mounts involved.

when i boot i am send to the dracut shell and it says /dev/centos/root does not exist same with /dev/centos/swap and /dev/mapper/centos-root

Hi @gerrietech,
sorry for the late response.
Do you mean a data-drive or your boot-drive?

@gerrietech
@m.traeumner

To be honest, this looks like a Centos7 install, not a correct NethServer install…
Why not install NethServer with the correct ISO, instead of bungling Centos7 and NethServer?

My 2 cents
Andy