Installing from USB

They are nice. I got the N40L from a guy at work when he upgraded. I got the Gen 8 after spotting another money off deal from HP. I had been looking on while on EBAY for a decent second hand one but got new instead.

Well perseverance paid off !
I first unplugged all the connectors and memory fitted in my micro server and reconnected it all just in case I had a bad connection. I formatted the USB and reinstalled the Nethserver iso after downloading it again.

I pulled the 4 drives I had in the front drive bay of the micro server and disconnected and reconnected the 250GB SATA laptop drive I have in the top of the server (where the optical drive would be if I had one) and then put the USB in the USB connector on the motherboard.

Leaving the 4 large drives out, I reconnected the network and powered up.

I chose the CentOS option from the splash screen, chose the hard drive option (sda) and this time it all worked and after about 15 minutes had a base CentOS server

After editing the CentOS config files to get the network connection working the nethserver bit all just worked as described.

Thanks for all your input guys, I have a new native Nethserver running on my HP N40L

:slight_smile:

9 Likes

We have fixed it in NethServer Beta2 @Loboexe @stephdl @jim

2 Likes

Hi,

Great feature the installation from USB.
Installation from CD is something from past.

Only look forma Microserver, or a Netgate 2440… There no Cd or DVD ROM anymore

Jim

4 Likes

If you are using Rufus v3.5 on windows to create the bootable usb disk you must select “dd image mode” (pops up after pressing start).