Installation of Captive portal

Hi may i ask how to install captive portal, Because i dont know how to install.

I haven’t tried it but one option is to install dedalo and configure icaro on a VPS or another server. You can find more information in the manual, which describes the requirements:
http://docs.nethserver.org/en/latest/dedalo.html

I don’t know if the dedalo module will cover everything you would need for a captive portal?
Another option could be the freeradius install. NethServer-freeradius module was started by @areguera a long time ago but was never finished. If I recall correctly only device based access was developed and not user based access… It would be nice though, to have this feature further developed…

Dedalo and Icaro (https://nethesis.github.io/icaro/docs/components/) offer much more flexibility than a simple radius server.
Give it a try and let us know (we already have some hundreds of installations around :wink: )

Hello,

I think it’s always great when clever minds think and what makes sense comes out of it.

But unfortunately, that is not always communicated, but we have so many useful approaches to individual problems.

I have tried as a user to install Capative Portal (Dedalo and Icaro) but failed.

The tutorial at http://docs.nethserver.org/en/v7/dedalo.html?highlight=captive uses but I can not get it to work.

Apparently I’m too stupid for that!

I just want to run a simple radius service to connect my WLAN accesses to the user management.

see here: Nethserver-freeradius package available for testing

But vll. There is sometimes a simple Howto / Wiki description that you as a normal user of home wants to play something understands!

greetings
Gerald

@gerald_FS I do understand your feeling.
Example: If I read in the docs:

• install the server component: Server provisioning This procedure uses Vagrant to provision a Digital Ocean (DO) droplet. If you prefere to use another cloud provider, edit Vagrantfile accordingly.

Then I am at a total loss. following the link in the description, I see at the icaro website:

1. Replace YOUR TOKEN with your DO token inside the Vagrantfile
  2. Make sure to upload an SSH key to yuor DO account, then replace YOUR KEY NAME with you SSH key name inside the Vagrantfile

But no explanation what is a DO token and where to find this token. Neither how the Vagrant file (is supposed to) looks like and where to place the token info in the Vagrant file. Besides that, there are supposed to be other providers, but no explanation what providers or how to configure them. And for many users, a self hosted option (for instance on proxmox or other hypervisor) would be preferrable, but nothing that mentions this.

This community has the motto to be inclusive. As soon it turns out that something is not clear (IMO which is the case with the dedalo/icaro section of the manual) there is a need to adjust the docs to make them more inclusive.

Anyone available that can give a more inclusive explanation for installing de dedalo/icaro module so even a simple windows sys admin can follow the instructions?
@giacomo maybe you can point to more detailed info or explain here?

Perhaps we can ask, more fundamentally, why our captive portal solution requires a VPS somewhere else. That seems at first glance to be unnecessarily complicated.

@danb35 I agree that a virtualhost on nethserver should be enough to get things done… (or must be missing something essential)

Thanks first of all!

But I think we have to make developments more transparent, so we can become much more shrewd!

I see that several subprojects are developed (partly side by side), but none is fully implemented.

If you set targeted milestones, there is a recognizable goal, then the experts can work towards it and I (we - the users) are happy if it works.

But again on the core issue to come, my desire is for a long time a classic radius server with which users can log in the wireless.
That would be with Dedolo / Icaro etc. only the section Wings … everything else is not needed.
Now I imagine the question makes sense to install the big, if only a fraction is needed - namely the function of a simple radius server.

I think I’m not alone, who wants to change only the wireless identification using WPA2 key.

greetings

Gerald

PS: yes I know I once again started a policy discussion.
But I bow with the highest respect for the developers and creators of the project.

After an addendum:
I’m not from the M $ -Windows corner, I’ve been in the Linux world for more than 12 years now.
However, I am a user - I use the calculator to make my life easier and freer.

I think we have to make a bit of a nuance here.
The NethServer is a community driven project. Some of the modules are considered ‘core modules’. These are also the modules that are listed and explained in the official NethServer admin guide.
Dedalo-icaro is one of those modules.
All other modules are comming 100% from community effort. They originate from a feature request to a howto to an rpm to an integrated module.
There are many features that do not get passed the ‘howto’ stage, so the only way is to manually install them. This is not a bad thing, as long the howto is inclusive and describes every step.,
My main problem with the dedalo-icarus documentation is that (IMO) it is not inclusive enough. There are quite some steps of configuration lacking and the documentation relies (too much?) on admin knowledge of configuring the module.

FWIW, my own solution is simply to use the Unifi network controller to handle this–though that obviously only works if you’re using Unifi hotspots. But I’m pretty sure it will do RADIUS authentication.

In this case Icaro is not what you’re looking for :slight_smile:
And we do not have plan to include such feature, but as always we will try to help anyone who want to join in.

I can understand your feelings but the documentation is intended for infrastructure engineers. Don’t get me wrong, but if you don’t know what a Vagrant provider or a Digital Ocean token is, you probably shouldn’t install an Icaro instance :slight_smile:

I agree, and any PR is very welcome.

You can find and excellent Ansible recipe from @Amygos right here along with a README.

Because Icaro can’t simply be hosted on NS installation since requires extra tools and it doesn’t fit on the NethServer structure. Icaro has been designed to have horizontal scalability and such thing can be obtained with the immutable infrastructure approach.

So maybe you’re wondering: why bother publishing the code?
Because we think it’s important that the code is open of review to anyone.
We (as Nethesis) are providing a managed Icaro installation which is currently handling thousands of users.

If you still have doubts, please shot! :wink:

It would be good to have a locally-hosted solution for this. Some very cursory web searching suggests that CoovaChilli might fit the bill. Here’s some instruction on getting it up and running with RADIUS authentication. It would be good to see this as a module from someone with more interest and/or skill than I have.

Dedalo is CoovaChilli with a little patch: Commits · NethServer/coova-chilli · GitHub

Here is an explanation how to install icaro and dedalo on a local server, dedalo is installed as module of nethserver and icaro is installed with vagrant on a CentOS 7 machine.

If I have some time I also will try to install icaro on Nethserver and Proxmox, but I think the biggest problem of Nethserver would be the firewall. The best way would be to get it running on Proxmox, because of performance, next to the Nethserver dedalo installation. If we can install at Nethserver with virtual box provider I think a rpm could be possible too.

Yes you’re right, only problem is, icaro isn’t a module of nethserver, you have to do much manually work to install it. I think it would be to much for the docs.

2 Likes

IMO an install howto should mention every step you need to perform. Might be a project to start for the community to do.

Hi @robb,
the first howto exists, of course others, for installation on Proxmox and Nethserver, are following if I have time for it. But it would be nice if somebody can confirm the installation with the howto works. Markus and me have done a lot of installations and at the latest after the second one you do things without thinking about it.