Installation directory mapping question

NethServer Version: 7.6
Module: nethserver main

I’ve been playing around with Nethserver for a while now, and I’m more or less ready for a production deployment. I’ll be using these servers to take over some routing/network jobs, but will also be virtualizing a few things onto them.

So, after doing a little digging I think I’ve got an idea of my answer but wanted to ask and see if I can get some clarification. I’m interested to know what the directory structure for NethServer’s main storage is.

I’d like to keep the system files and such on a RAID 1 pair as is the default. But I’d like to also go ahead and set up a big LV on top of some raid for all of the user/operating data that Nethserver and its subcomponents/VM guests/etc generate, that way I can grow the storage as necessary down the road.

From another thread, it looks like Nethserver stores everything in /var/lib/nethserver. Is that correct? If so, is it just a matter of setting up raid and LVM during the install and having the LV mount there? Is there anything else that I should go ahead and setup on that large storage at install so I don’t have to move it? Or should I just do a basic install, and then set up the storage and move everything? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your time and opinions,

Chris

@mrmarkuz what is about nextcloud data for example? Is it also stored here?

1 Like

Yes, it’s stored here.

https://docs.nethserver.org/projects/nethserver-devel/en/latest/nethserver-nextcloud.html

1 Like

@bluesprocket

Hi
If you’re anyway contemplating virtualization, why not try Nethserver on Proxmox?
Storage for VMs is on a NAS, mostly dedicated.

I use that for quite a few clients. Works very well and stable.
Bonus with that scenario is for Windows and Linux Guests in Proxmox is the fact that disk/storage enlargement is very easy and quick.
2nd Bonus is free Backup / Restore of Live Systems.
This takes away the headache if you’re not sure about things!

If down the road I need twice or three times the disk space in my nethserver, I just enlarge it in Proxmox, and use something like systemrescuecd to enlarge the disks (lv). Same for Windows.

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like