"Install missing modules" message after latest updates and reboot

NethServer Version: NS7
Module: software update

After applying all the latest updates today, for both NS and CentOS, and then rebooting (precaution, as glibc was updated) I now have the following message on the Dashboard.

I really don’t want to just do the suggested restore without understanding why this is now appearing, which I’m guessing is something to do with the following messages in /var/log/messages:

Jul 22 14:47:30 Nethserver admin-todos: [ERROR] admin-todos: /etc/nethserver/todos.d/20admin-user exit code 9
Jul 22 14:47:33 Nethserver admin-todos: [ERROR] admin-todos: /etc/nethserver/todos.d/50restore-modules exit code 9

Cheers.

Is the admin user enabled and with a password?
Do you see something strange (missing packages) in the output of:

cat /var/lib/nethserver/backup/package-list | xargs rpm -q
1 Like

Yes.

Hmmmm. It looks like the rpm db might be corrupt:

[root@Nethserver ~]# cat /var/lib/nethserver/backup/package-list | xargs rpm -q
error: rpmdb: BDB0113 Thread/process 6001/140226469701440 failed: BDB1507 Thread died in Berkeley DB library
error: db5 error(-30973) from dbenv->failchk: BDB0087 DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
error: cannot open Packages index using db5 -  (-30973)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
error: rpmdb: BDB0113 Thread/process 6001/140226469701440 failed: BDB1507 Thread died in Berkeley DB library
error: db5 error(-30973) from dbenv->failchk: BDB0087 DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
package nethserver-antivirus is not installed
package nethserver-backup-config is not installed
... ... ...

I wonder how that happened as there were no errors, that I could see, during the package updates or the re-boot.

Guess I need to look up the instructions to re-build that.

Cheers.

Hi guys,

I have encountered the same situation about some days ago.
I haven’t reported it because I thought is because of my tests regarding backups and I wanted to be sure that is not my fault.
The issue appear after the NS is rebooting.
I have two NS7 VMs. One has the backup module installed on it, the other have not the backup module installed no it.
The issue is on the NS which has the backup module installed on it and I’m pretty sure that the issue comes from this module.
I have removed the module through Software Center and without the module, the NS works well after reboot.
I have reinstalled the backup module through the Software Center and the issue has back.
The issue reported by @EddieA is correlated with the Software Center error.
Pressing the CLEAR YUM CACHE button does not resolve the issue.
Not even commands from CLI (yum clean all and yum update).
The only way to solve the problem was deleting the three files from /var/lib/rpm (_db.001, _db.002, _db.003) or at least one of them, but only till the next reboot.

Please see the attached pictures, in chronological order.

In my case, I don’t have the Backup module installed, as I have another backup option I use.

I followed the advice in these instructions and it showed, initially, that I did have a bunch of stale locks. I then did the first step in the recovery, removing the same files as mentioned by @GG_jr above. Following that, the verification worked perfectly, with no errors. So, in the end, no re-build was necessary.

Cheers.

1 Like