Install Matrix-Synapse including Whatsapp bridge using docker-compose

My Synapse installation isn’t on Nethserver, but it’s set up to disable registration entirely, and use synapse-admin to add (and otherwise manage) users. Not sure how relevant that is here, though.

2 Likes

Every use case is an interesting read I guess. I am still at Matrix nOOb stage, so I’ll take any use case :slight_smile:

I’m not far at all ahead of you, but it’s sure nice having a single chat app/interface that includes Signal, Telegram, iMessage, and Discord, as well as Matrix itself. And that means I can do iMessage on a Windows machine, or via the web, both of which are nice features that Apple doesn’t give you.

It is indeed!

@danb35 could you ‘show’ a schematic how you have organised the various platforms into spaces/rooms/persons/favourites etc? I am struggling a bit with the ‘best’ way of organising the possibilities and at the same time keep it simple.

Thanks!

I haven’t really done anything to organize them, though that would probably be a good idea. They’re each listed as an entry under “People” in Element. Each chat–i.e., each recipient–is created as its own room, and I’ve renamed them from, e.g., imessage_nnnnnnnnnn, to First Last (iMessage).

With respect to the iMessage bridge specifically, though, it suffers from a major limitation: any given instance of that bridge is tied to a specific macOS, and therefore iMessage, account. The WhatsApp, Telegram, and Signal bridges, AFAICT, each allow multiple users with their own logins to use them. So, if you set up a Synapse server with any (or all) of those bridges, you can have multiple users on that server, and each of those users can be logged into their own accounts with any (or all) of those services. Not so with iMessage.

I ran into anoher option to implement Whatsapp bridge in Matrix. It depends on WhatsappWeb but as far as I understood it is not necessary to run a seperate client.

3 Likes

Carefully asking, did you or anybody else test it yet?

Turned out it’s already in use on my instance, thnx to @mrmarkuz

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Matrix-Synapse Docker Database Connection Error