Improve documentation for updates which are upgrades

OK, I’ve just installed the latest bunch of updates for my Nethserver (via a paid subscription). I missed the fact that the mail system was upgraded to rspam. I only noticed this when email arriving at my server was classed as spam and put in the spam folder. I’ve set my system up with a catch all user and shared that account’s inbox, but not the spam folder.
Anyway…to cut a long story short, the upgrade to rspam caused some messages to go to a folder I couldn’t see. Which meant I missed some messages about my kids school :frowning_face:
Is there some way the “change log” could detail when a package will change the behaviour of a system? e.g.
We’re going to update the antispam engine, you may need to check your spam settings.
thanks
Bob

The rspamd (mail2) upgrade started some months ago and become the default anti-spam since NethServer 7.5. It has been thoroughly tested (and publicly discussed) before being issued as amavisd replacement.

I’m sorry if you missed some messages. However to understand why that happened we have to see the scores assigned by rspamd. As many scores depends on external factors (like public blacklists) a different score is not necessarily related to the spam engine.

@davidep Thanks for the reply. I new that rspamd had become the default. My system wasn’t set up with rspamd, but a recent set of updates migrated my mail system to rspamd. The new rspamd is working fine, my only concern is that I missed the fact that the UPDATE system has infact UPGRADED to a different set of packages, that has different behaviour to what I was used to. Here is the list of updates that were applied:

The following updates will be downloaded on xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:
================================================================================
Package Arch Version Repository Size
================================================================================
Installing:
nethserver-mail-filter noarch 2.3.0-1.ns7 sb-nethserver-updates 68 k
replacing nethserver-spamd.noarch 1.0.1-1.ns7
nethserver-mail-getmail noarch 2.3.0-1.ns7 sb-nethserver-updates 41 k
replacing nethserver-getmail.noarch 1.0.4-1.ns7
nethserver-mail-p3scan noarch 2.3.0-1.ns7 sb-nethserver-updates 39 k
replacing nethserver-p3scan.noarch 1.1.3-1.ns7
Updating:
centos-release x86_64 7-5.1804.5.el7.centos
sb-updates 25 k
nethserver-ejabberd noarch 1.3.1-1.ns7 sb-nethserver-updates 38 k
nethserver-lang-en noarch 1.2.15-1.ns7 sb-nethserver-updates 23 k
nethserver-mail-common noarch 2.3.0-1.ns7 sb-nethserver-updates 60 k
nethserver-mail-disclaimer noarch 2.3.0-1.ns7 sb-nethserver-updates 32 k
nethserver-mail-server noarch 2.3.0-1.ns7 sb-nethserver-updates 112 k
nethserver-mail-smarthost noarch 2.3.0-1.ns7 sb-nethserver-updates 42 k
nethserver-roundcubemail noarch 1.2.10-1.ns7 sb-nethserver-updates 36 k
nethserver-squid noarch 1.7.2-1.ns7 sb-nethserver-updates 58 k
nethserver-sssd noarch 1.4.2-1.ns7 sb-nethserver-updates 103 k
nethserver-subscription noarch 3.1.2-1.ns7 sb-nethserver-updates 49 k
nethserver-subscription-ui noarch 3.1.2-1.ns7 sb-nethserver-updates 24 k
nethserver-webtop5 noarch 1.2.8-1.ns7 sb-nethserver-updates 162 k
php-kolab-net-ldap3 noarch 1.0.7-2.el7 sb-epel 39 k
Installing for dependencies:
fann x86_64 2.2.0-6.el7 sb-epel 81 k
libbsd x86_64 0.8.3-1.el7 sb-epel 85 k
libmemcached x86_64 1.0.16-5.el7 sb-base 237 k
libopendkim x86_64 2.11.0-0.1.el7 sb-epel 75 k
libunwind x86_64 2:1.2-2.el7 sb-base 57 k
mod_authnz_pam x86_64 1.1.0-1.el7 sb-base 15 k
opendbx x86_64 1.4.6-6.el7 sb-epel 46 k
opendkim x86_64 2.11.0-0.1.el7 sb-epel 222 k
rspamd x86_64 1.7.8-1 sb-nethserver-updates 13 M
sendmail-milter x86_64 8.14.7-5.el7 sb-base 71 k
zstd x86_64 1.3.5-1.el7 sb-epel 338 k

Transaction Summary
Install 3 Packages (+11 Dependent packages)
Upgrade 14 Packages
Updates downloaded successfully.

There is no mention of rspamd being installed.

It would be nice if there was some way to inform a user that an updated package will change system behaviour. I’ve not lost any emails, I just didn’t see them in time, because they’d been put in a folder which wasn’t looking at.

I guess what I’m saying is:
“Please write the change logs with a simple explanation of the new packages behaviour”.

Thanks
bob

ah…hell!!!
Just saw the rspamd package listed in that post. I’ve read that list many times and didn’t see it. I must need new glasses!! :sunglasses:

sorry.
Bob

Yes it would be useful. Changelogs are difficult to read, and big changes should be highlighted.

However only those who apply the updates manually have a chance to see it.

We can evaluate some ideas to implement it for the future.

What about a changelog string marker? Like !WARNING!: it can be rendered specially as a warning notification by the server-manager

1 Like

@davidep

What about a changelog string marker? Like !WARNING!

I like that idea. +1 vote from me.

I suppose it’s a fine balance between saying “hay…you really need to be aware of this”, and causing panic if someone sees a big warning sign.

Thanks for understanding my concern.

Regards
Bob

2 Likes