HowTo join Debian 9 Desktop to NethServer-7 Active Directory

HowTo join Debian 9 Desktop to NethServer-7 Active Directory

Please feel free to give me a feedback, I mean technically and formally.

Warning:
This is based upon limited testing, and a small number of users. Both, Client and Server, were installed as VPS under Proxmox PVE.

Server prerequisites:
Installed NethServer 7.4 Server and updated from command line. Active Directory has been configured and the domain-name example.org was given.

Client prerequisites:
Installed Debian 9 (debian-9.2.1-amd64-DVD-1.iso), with standard gnome desktop and one local user who has local admin rights. DHCP-Client was activ to get an IP from the NethServer who is acting as DHCP-and AD-Server. It is important that the Debian Client can resolv DNS correctly.

Now we can join the Domain example.org with:
±+ Open a Terminal on Debian 9

±+ Get root:
su

±+ install some packages:
apt-get install sudo realmd ntp adcli sssd

±+
sudo mkdir -p /var/lib/samba/private

±+ Enable sssd:
sudo systemctl enable sssd

±+ Join Domain:
sudo realm join --user=administrator example.org

±+ Start sssd:
sudo systemctl start sssd

±+ (all in one line)
echo "session required pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/ umask=0022" | sudo tee -a /etc/pam.d/common-session

±+ Install libsss-sudo
sudo apt-get install libsss-sudo

±+ Set sudoers permission:
echo "administrator@example.org ALL=(ALL) ALL" | sudo tee -a /etc/sudoers.d/DomainAdmins
echo "admin@example.org ALL=(ALL) ALL" | sudo tee -a /etc/sudoers.d/DomainAdmins

±+ Reboot Debian Desktop:
reboot

±+ After the reboot, logon with:
user: administrator@example.org
pass: your-administrator-password

4 Likes

Great! I suggest use Preformatted text sintax for code :wink:

Great effort!
Maybe it would be a good idea to create an HowTo in our wiki. Preferably for all major Linux flavors.
https://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=user_guides

2 Likes

Yes, I agree. It’s just a matter of time, I can spend…

4 Likes

What do you think to create a wiki page where you list all these howtos? How to join…
Would be great

Yes, - HowTo join clients to NethServer AD… - But I am busy now, can start in Feb ?

1 Like

Sure! I guess that it takes just a few minutes

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Join Debian 11/12 to Nethserver 7 Active Directory